The knocking

Characters:
Duke Elija Walker
Jenifer Kasey Smith

He opened the door, confused why someone would be knocking at his door this late and worried his mom would hear. Standing outside the door, she wore a old black hoodie, a torn ball cap, and big dark shades. She darted her head back and forth. The porch light illuminated her face, leaving a glare in her sunglasses.

"What are you doing here Jen? It's the middle of the night. My mom will kill me if she wakes up and you're here." Her real name was Jenifer, but ever since the 2nd grade, he has called her Jen . Duke rubbed the sleep out of his eyes.
Whispering, Jennifer leaned in, "Duke, I found something, important. I need to show this to you, now, but I need to come inside."
He let her in, defying his better judgment.
"What is so important that you had to show me at two in the morning?" She swiftly walked into his living room, almost levitating. Her movement jerky but fluid. Duke followed her, annoyed she wouldn't answer. She set a backpack down on the coffee table. The seams of the bag almost bursting from the contents. She turned to face him. Silence filled the empty space.
"If your not going to say anything, I'm going back to bed." Duke started for the stairs.
"Can I trust you?" She hadn't moved a muscle.
"Trust me as in murder for you or trust me as is make sure you don't slip on an ice rink?"
"Murder for me? Can I trust you like that?"
He hesitated, thinking about what he was getting into.