Chapter 11

The darkness opened up in front of me. No light was on, not even a flicker from the ones located on the ceiling. I tried to pull open my eyes, my vision was adjusting to such a black void. My feet were moving in the same spaces as Gray's. I copied his every move. Wherever he went, I followed.

Chairs were strewn everywhere, desks overturned, papers scattered, the place was ransacked. Doors to the see-through pods were smashed and glass shattered everywhere. It looked like a scene out of a film. I kept my wits about me as I clung to Gray's arm. We carefully manoeuvred through the wreckage and got to the staircase. The large fireproof door was shut, and I knew from the one on my floor, that to open them would require force and accompanied with that is the large noise of the door being dragged open.

I dug my nails into his hand, until he turned to face me. His eyes were now dark emerald pools, swirling with rage. He bore down into me with worry plastered onto his face. I placed my finger over my mouth, motioning the 'shush' action. He acknowledged me and placed his hand on the door. He moved to the handle and began to pull.

Before my thoughts could gather and I could comprehend what was going on. The alarms rang out through the floor. Erupting and crashing through to my eardrums demanding to be heard. Gray had set off an alarm, one not from the firm, another one, one I've never heard before.

He grabbed me and shoved me into a supplies cabinet to the left of the stairs door. He pulled out a baton from his suit jacket which just grew with size, and makeshift bolted the door. He pushed me behind him, his body shielding me from harms way. I shook, I physically shook, the terror crept up my skin, making me sweat and feel sick.

"We know someone's here, and we know they've got something we want." An unfamiliar voice boomed through the floor. It was on the main tannoy. "If you hand her to us, we'll make sure you're free to go." It continued. Her? Is there someone else here? Did Perkins annoy some poor girls family? I couldn't fathom or understand what was going on around me.

My thoughts were jumbled like an overturned jumpers sale. I squeezed my eyes shut and pushed the migraine which was descending over my eyes to disappear- it didn't. It just gave a comforting familiar throb, something which reminded me of normality. Gray turned to me, and his eyes said all he needed to say. The furrowed lines rippled across his skin, and in that instant, I knew. 

I knew not of what would happen to me, or what my fate would be. I knew I could not be certain, and I knew that if it were true, my worst fear would be upon me before I knew it. I knew that, whatever miscommunication had occurred throughout this whole mess, I was stuck to it, and no matter how much I tried to pull at the heart strings that were attached, I was a puppet unable to break free.  

I knew in that moment, as I watched this man in front of me bow his head, the "her" they were referring too- was me.