1

DOES IT REALLY GET BETTER? OR DO WE JUST GET USED TO IT?

A most-likely typical depressed teenage girl had carved those words into the white paint on the inside of the bathroom stall I was using. I continued examining this vandalized wall which was keeping me some-what entertained while I was peeing.

this school is shit

I read another one as I raised my foot to push down the button in order to flush the toilet. I always seemed to use my foot rather than my hand to flush public restroom toilets, not because I didn't trust strangers and the diseases they could be carrying when they flush, but because they literally just took a shit and haven't washed their hands yet when they flush.

I checked my hair in the oddly clean mirror before walking out of the girl's restroom which is located inside the front office of Easton Trail High School, the school I am now attending.

"Lana Jordan?" An older lady that works at the front desk approached me with a white paper in hand.

"That's me!" I say much more enthusiastic than intended.

"Your schedule is now ready and you can begin walking to your first class, which is-" she quickly scanned the paper, "Mr.Ezelle, Homeroom."

She handed me the paper which showed my whole schedule including the time each class begins and ends.  Homeroom for fifty minutes? What even is Homeroom?

On my way to so called, 'Homeroom' I hear the default ringtone coming from my back pocket, where I keep my phone most of the times. It was quite unusual for me to get a call at this time but I wasn't too shocked as I expected it to be T-mobile calling to tell me that my bill is overdue or some shit.

To my surprise it wasn't T-mobile but it was an Unknown number, or at least a number I haven't saved in my contacts. I mentally searched through all the people that could have access to my number as I could have some idea as to who this could be.

"Hello?"

"Hellooo?" I repeated in the same tone.

With frustration and impatience now showing in my voice I speak into the phone, "Who is this, why are you calling me?"

I listen closely for a response as I hear nothing but breathing, heavy breathing.

"You know what? Fuck you." Clearly annoyed I moved the phone from my ear and hovered my finger over the hang up button until I heard a voice coming from the cell.

"Calm the hell down it's Bryan," I raise my phone close to my ear once again to hear my brother speak from the other line, "I'm only calling to see if you made it to school on time, no need to get your panties in a twist."

"Yes Bryan, I did make it in on time." I pulled up my grey sleeve enough to reveal the time shown on my watch, 9:14. "Why'd you call me on an unknown number?"

"Unknown? Hmph..." He didn't exactly full-fill my question therefore I waited for an actual answer, "Oh! That's right, I got a new phone." I heard him chuckle slightly.

"Right...Well I gotta go I'll see you later."

Without any other words being exchanged I hung up the call and attempted to place my phone in my back pocket, but instead it fell out of my hand and onto the concrete floor.

Cursing to myself, I slightly bent down to grab it until I hear an unfamiliar voice speak.

"Oh, let me get that."

With curiosity, I glanced up to be greeted with large, brown curls with an orange tint slightly moving due to the small breeze. As she handed me my phone I noticed she was wearing a black and white polka-dot dress with red lipstick as a contrast to the outfit.