Chapter 5

"Are you insane?!" Levi shouted.

The Commander's reply was calm, but his expression was troubled. "I may be." He was clearly second-guessing himself.

Hange stood silent in the corner of the Commander's office. This was truly a stressful situation.

"I gave my word Levi," the Commander continued. "I know you don't like it, but he's proven himself invaluable."

"You're exactly right! I don't like it!" Levi rebuked. "Because the thought of handing over our greatest military asset aside from Jaeger to a guy we just let out of prison is ludicrous!"

"He asked to oversee Leonhardt's interrogation process," Erwin corrected. "Not to take full custody over her."

"Even a little authority is too much for that sociopath!" Levi retorted. "Just you wait, he has something in mind for the traitor, and it won't be good for anyone!"

Commander Erwin let out an exhausted sigh as he slumped in his office chair. "You may be right, but we've come this far."

He continued, "Lieutenant (L/n) has given me his word that he will extract every bit of information from Leonhardt as she can possibly give up."

His expression became more determined as he met the Captain's stubborn gaze. "After seeing what he was able to accomplish today, we can't afford not to believe (L/n) can do just as he says. He'll get us something that will change the course of history to come. I have to believe that."

Levi's own expression was sour as he faced the facts.

Hange could only watch on, her own thoughts simply reflecting what shown plainly on the Captain's face. She hated this just as much as he did, but the Commander was absolutely right. They had no choice.

"Effective immediately," Erwin said firmly. "Lieutenant (L/n) will oversee the interrogation and continued incarceration of the Female Titan."

The Commander then handed out individual assignments. "Captain Levi will be appointed as the Lieutenant's handler. You're to monitor him closely at all times and report any actions implicating an ulterior motive. Commander Hange will supervise the interrogation process and make sure (L/n) doesn't go overboard. Understood?"

"Yes, sir!" "Damn it..."

----------------------------------

Annie's POV

My eyes hurt as they opened. The torchlight was relatively dim, but even that was overwhelming for the moment.

My mind was foggy. I could hardly compose a sensible thought, much less analyze my situation.

I could see a few people standing around me. They were talking. I knew the language and could hear just fine. My brain just couldn't process what they were saying. I could only shake my head vehemently, trying to fight off the thick fog in my mind.

I attempted to rub my head when I realized my hands were restrained. Thick cuffs and chains on my wrists had me trapped on a small cot. My ankles were similarly locked up.

I finally looked around, but nothing could tell me where I was. The only features of the room were four solid stone walls and a thick wood door with iron reinforcement. No windows. No way out.

The people around me said nothing directly to me, but they actually told me more than anything else. Three men and one woman - all in uniforms bearing the Wings of Freedom.

I let my head rest flat on the cot. "So that's it, then. I was caught. Now I'm in the custody of the Survey Corps."

I suddenly let out a gasp as images began to flash by in my mind.

Armin approached me in secret.

I was led into a trap.

I was forced to retreat.

Eren and Mikasa beat me.

He was about to kill me.

Then...

black.

I could remember nothing beyond that. My only thoughts now were of escape.

I obviously couldn't just run. My only way out of the restraints was my transformation, but in such a confined space my titan body wouldn't do me any good anyways. It would just be crushed.

I started to panic. My heart was racing. My breathing became erratic. I started to struggle against my restraints. My guards were immediately gathered around me, trying to hold me down.

"Stop resisting!" They shouted over and over.

I kept fighting until the door suddenly burst open. My guards fell silent and immediately drew back, leaving me frozen.

A man entered the room. He wore the same uniform as the other Survey Corps members, but the air around him was heavy and sent chills up my spine. I noticed the guards stood a little straighter when he looked their way. Apparently, I wasn't just imagining it.

I watched him warily as he circled my cot, examining me closely. He stopped at my right, looming over me with a devilish smirk on his face.

"Miss Leonhardt," he said. His voice was unexpectedly friendly. "My name is Lieutenant (F/n) (L/n). I've been given charge over you for the time being. I have some questions that I need to ask you."

I immediately gathered as much saliva as I could and spat in the bastard's arrogant face. "Screw you," I said. "I'll never talk."

He didn't bat an eye. He didn't even wipe his face. He just kept staring at me. The smirk never left his lips and only made me even more nervous.

He waited until the chains began to rattle with my shaking before he turned toward the door and left with my spit still dripping off his chin.

"Escort Miss Leonhardt to the interrogation room."