Chapter thirteen

Gauri woke up to find a different feeling in her chest. 

Was she......she could actually feel herself smiling? 

For the first time in two years, she woke up with a smile on her face. 

She had honestly thought that, that Gauri was of past, but it was comforting to think that all was not lost. 

But the hope diminished, just as soon as it burgeoned. Her smile was in such a precarious condition. What if her and Omkaraji's efforts don't work after all? What if they fail? 

Should she dare to hope?

"Ah, you are awake" came a sleepy voice from above her head. 

Gauri slowly disengaged herself from his embrace, and pat came his rejoinder.

"What? No kiss today?" asked Omkara, amused.

Maybe she could dare to hope.

"You can't get lucky every morning" said Gauri airily, and went off for a bath, smiling to herself. 

**************************************

Omkara woke up a second time to her soulful voice. 

Maybe he could get used to this. Maybe all this would work. 

He knew Gauri for over three months now, even though most of that time, she was shielding herself with her Thakurain persona. But he knew her enough. People have fallen in love in less than a day, he could grow to love her. If he didn't already.....

Feeling optimistic, Omkara decided today was a nice day to replenish his painting supplies, and get back to work.

"I won't be long" said Omkara, as he was dressed to leave. "Just over an hour maybe."

"Why are you looking so worried?" asked Gauri.

"I don't know....I don't want you to be bored. Plus, Mr. Oberoi and Chhoti Maa, even Shivaay haven't been kind" said Omkara frowning.

"Do you think I wouldn't be able to take care of myself?" said Gauri, in her most haughty-Thakurain manner. 

Omkara chuckled. "No, I think I am worried for them, rather." 

He would never tire of the Thakurain. She was the most interesting creature he met.

"Lets not forget that Annika bhaujaai, Maaji, Dadiji, Soumya, Prinku, and Rudy Bhaiyaa, have been most welcoming. Don't worry, I won't be bored" assured Gauri. 

"Okay, but I'll be back soon" said Omkara, and hesitated slightly, before he bent down to awkwardly hug his wife, and quickly retreated, unsure of her reaction.

Gauri was pleasantly surprised by his action, but then she shouldn't be. Didn't he hold her tightly in his sleep? She should expect this. 

Omkara's absence provided her with an opportunity. 

She had gathered enough from Tej Papaji and Shivaay's bhaiyaa's taunts and worries, to know that life had not been kind to him. Now she only needed someone from whom she could figure out the details. 

Time to do some digging, thought Gauri.

********************************************

"This is such a pretty kurta" remarked Gauri. 

She was in Priyanka's bedroom, on the pretext of getting to know her sister-in-law better.

It was not a pretext, Gauri told herself. She did want to know Priyanka, and everyone else in the family better. But right now her motive was to find out about Omkaraji, and she felt Prinku would be the most malleable to her needs.