The End of the World as We Know It (Short Story)

It's the year 2098, and it has been 10 years since it happened. 10 years ago today, we lost friends, family, and over three-quarters of the world's population. 10 years ago today, our lives changed forever. 10 years ago today was the beginning of the end of the world.

It all started about 15 years back. Countries were ending alliances with other countries, natural disasters were just adding to the tension, and the world was getting worse and worse by the day. It went on for 5 years until one country decided that they had had enough. This country, a country that most people refuse to say the name of, decided that instead of working something out and getting along with other countries, that they were going to end the world. They did this with multiple atom bombs, the biggest bombs anyone on Earth had even thought of creating. People within one thousand miles died, and many outside the one thousand mile radius died as well, mostly due to the radiation.

Life after the disaster has been hard, but we survivors have gotten used to it. It's hard to think about what life was like before the nuclear apocalypse, so most of us just try not to think about it at all. Most days consist of searching for supplies, taking shelter from the post-apocalyptic storms, and other miscellaneous activities that need to be done on a regular basis to survive. I am one of the lucky ones to have some of my family. Some people that I have met hadn't spoken to anyone in years. Sometimes my family and I talk about what our future might be. I don't believe we have anything to look forward to, but we have realized in our 10 years of horror that we have to stay positive because the second we don't, the worst will happen.