Chapter Ten

Guilt's been eating at me for ditching Beau the other night. I've got to make it up to him somehow. I don't even know if he's free today, but I would soon find out.

Magnolia: Hey what are you doing?

As I wait for a response, I throw on some clothes opting for some shorts and a tank top. Since I don't hear from Beau right away, I decide to go ahead and start with my list for the day. Washing baby being number one, she has kind of gotten grungy looking, and I had neglected her the last couple of weeks. It's time to fix that.

I take my time making sure I wash each panel multiples times before moving on to the next. I hated the thought of people looking at her and thinking I actually tried when it was a crappy wash job. So I give her the attention she deserves inside and out. When I finish, I'm drenched in sweat and in definite need of a shower before even thinking about going to the grocery store. A response is waiting when I check my phone.

Beau: Just woke up. What are you doing?

Magnolia: Just gave baby a bath, about to do the same for myself.

Beau: Sounds like fun, need any help?

Magnolia: That's a negative, I've been doing it myself for a while now.

Beau: Too bad, we could have made it interesting. You have any plans today?

Magnolia: I guess we will never know. I need to go by the funeral home but other than that just the usual errands.

Beau: Want some company?

Magnolia: During my errands, yes. Shower time, no.

Beau: Damn. Be there in thirty.

Quickly tossing the phone on the bed, I head to the bathroom to wash the sweaty film from my body.

***

Beau pulls up in front of my house in precisely thirty minutes. He has never been one to be late. Skipping down the front steps, I meet him as he climbs out of the truck. "I'll drive. Baby needs to be shown off now that she's all clean" I say in a singsong voice.

"She does look beautiful" he comments smirking at me as I gaze around admiring my work. Beau doesn't mind riding in my car. No matter how hot it got, he never once complained about the fact that she doesn't have air conditioning. Well to me anyway. I throw my hair back into a bun – I learned a long time ago I didn't enjoy brushing out the knots and tangles that were guaranteed when riding with the windows down.

"So, where to first?" he asks leaning back looking very comfortable with his arm hanging out the window.

"I have to stop by the funeral home first..." I trail off. Shockingly my grandma made me her power of attorney before she passed away. Leaving me to get everything in order such as her insurance policies and making sure the bills were transferred into someone else's name. Grandma put the house in Mama's name months ago so that wouldn't be something that I had to deal with. At least that's one thing I don't have to worry about. Thankfully the funeral home director provides me with information that's necessary when dealing with her insurance policies. Otherwise, I would've been in the dark about.

We ride around most of the day rocking out to Thirty Seconds to Mars, both singing along to almost every song. Jared Leto's voice is like silk as he belts out each word. His passion is evident in each line he sings.

When I pull into the parking lot outside of the grocery store we are both singing at the top of our lungs to The Kill, neither of us cares about the people that turn to stare as if we lost our minds. Laughing we get out of the car, I link my elbow in his as we walk. He goes to grab a cart, but I stop him "I only need a few things, grab one of those baskets instead."

I attempt to take it from him, but he just shakes his head and indicates for me to lead the way. I don't argue there's no point. I pull him along down the aisles plucking a few items from the shelves throwing them into the basket. I throw the box of tampons into the basket my cheeks instantly heating.

Beau's eyebrows lift "So that's the reason you didn't want to do shower time."

I roll my eyes slapping him on the shoulder "Oh shut up."

Beau laughs shoving me playfully as we turn the corner of the aisle. But I don't have time to react as I collide with a solid wall, a wall that happens to be someone's chest. Stumbling back, I begin repeatedly apologizing not even bothering to look up, I know my cheeks are on fire, and I hide them the best I can.

"Magnolia?" says a deep voice that after yesterday is committed to memory.

I slowly glance up to where I now know Rhett's staring at me. His hands are softly gripping my shoulders to steady me. It had been his chest that I bounced off of during our collision. I'm just thankful that I didn't embarrass myself any further by falling.

"Are you okay?" Rhett asks teasingly.

That doesn't help the fire in my cheeks to extinguish at all, stammering I reply "Yes... thank... you"

"Woah Mags you sure you don't have whiplash?" Beau chuckles from beside me.

"Eh... I'm sorry" I pull away from his hands stumbling a little to put some distance between us.

Rhett quirks an eyebrow looking between me and Beau his expression changing slightly before he extends a hand to Beau "Hey man, my name's Rhett."

"So, you're the mysterious Rhett, huh?" Beau answers giving him a once over.

"Mysterious Rhett? Has someone been talking about me?" Rhett asks smirking as his attention turns back to me.

"Just the one and only Savannah Shires" Beau grins taking a small step closer to me.

The intention isn't lost to me... or Rhett.

Glaring at him I turn to Rhett his face now closed off, his smooth voice replaced with a mocking one "Savannah huh? The pretty blonde from the coffee shop?" he directs the question to me.

Nodding I feel my cheeks heating again as I realize how stupid I've been. I wasn't delusional, but I thought we could at least be friends if nothing else. Now I could tell how wrong I actually was looking into a face so unlike the one from yesterday.

"Well, I'll let you guys get back to whatever it is you were doing. Magnolia just be careful next time, we don't want you getting hurt" he steps around us and heads toward the front of the store.

I shoot Beau a look, his smug face saying anything but that he's sorry "Let's go" I snap as I stomp away.