Chapter 5

Time is a funny thing. It's as fickle as the wind and just as damaging. Time seemed to slow down as you watched Maya walk across the dining room. You sat on the other side of your husband, delicately picking at your meal. The staff stood against the wall as they did at every dinner, waiting for orders. Howard encouraged small talk at the table. Or gossip about the neighbors and his colleagues. While most nights, you sat at attention and played along. Recently, something was bothering you.

     That new maid was bothering you intensely. You watched her and found her to favor the attention of your most beloved butler. Who gave her more than you liked. You tried not to become jealous, but the way he smiled at her. It made your blood boil. As the days passed, you noticed Jasper distance himself from you. He would have Monty tend to you when he usually did.

     The girls could sense when something was off, and so they took you out to whole days of shopping and drinking. All in vain.

     "Oh Y/N, that color on you is absolutely Ducky!" Alice chimed as you came out of a dressing room.

     "I suppose." You spoke, unenthusiastically. You stood in front of a full-length mirror and inspected your reflection.

     "What's wrong?" Oleta demanded an answer. You simply shrugged and look at yourself in the mirror a few times over again.

     "It's this new maid..." You started, but before you could finish your sentence, the girls were rolling their eyes.

     "There is no point in becoming jealous over a maid, Y/N. Mr. Gould is not worth such emotions. Besides, if you can have a lover behind his back-"

     "It's not Howard." You interrupted. "I'd prefer it to be that. It's...Jasper." A silence passed over your friends. You sighed and turned to the store employee. "I'll take it." You said, before going back to change. When you came out in your own clothes, they gave a serious eye.

     "She's your maid, just fire her!" Dia practically shouted.

     "That's suspicious. Besides, what would Jasper think of me?"

     "Jasper is at your disposal, my dear. He has to follow every order you give him." Oleta recommended.

     "I will not force my butler to continue our relationship!" You protested. All she did was a shrug as if that was your only option.

     "It's not as if you can address it with him," Clarke mentioned.

     "Well, why not? He's a logical person. There is no harm in addressing the issue."

     "Y/N, you have made the single most dangerous mistake a married woman could make. In fairness, we probably should have warned you of this, but I thought it was obvious."

     "And what is that, Oleta?"

     "You fell in love, with your lover." She put it simply. And she was every bit right. You had. Helplessly, and hopelessly so. As you thought he had for you. But as you watched him drift farther and farther, the more it hurt. One afternoon, you sat in the parlor, when he walked in to give you your drink. He set the glass on the coffee table in front of you, before swiftly turning away to exit.

     "Not even a kiss?" You inquired. Your voice sharp, and determined as you were. He stooped in his tracks, without a response. "I don't believe I've had the pleasure of being waited on you in a while."

     "My apologies Mrs. I've been attending to other matters around the mansion." The way he said Mrs hurt more than anything. As if you were a stranger.