Chapter 14

Nahi

It is late afternoon now and we have stopped for a moment to let our horses rest and have a drink of water before moving on until nightfall.  There is a small stream here – a cold silent vein from the snow-covered peaks so far above.  Myria has walked away for a moment, most likely washing her face in the cool water nearby.  Akuli mentioned to us moments ago that some small game are about in these woods (most likely due to the stream’s proximity).  Pulling out his bow, he walked away quietly and for the first time today I am optimistic that we will all share a warm dinner tonight.

     Only my harasha is alone with me now, and he has not uttered a single word to anyone since we met earlier by the western gate.  Had I known better I would think he was a mute.  Now the man is sitting on the ground, resting his back up against a log.  I can tell sometimes he looks at me from behind his black mask, but right now he is gazing out into the forest as if wondering where the other two went.

And so while I wait alone here with my silent companion, I think I shall take the time to write down the events of the day, starting with our solemn exit from the city before sunrise. 

We approached the western gate just before dawn and without me ever realizing it.  There was a damp fog which hung in the air such that we could only see a few feet in front of us.  The large iron oil lamps on the street had halos around them and Chaliani and I both moved through the mist as if in a dream. 

     One of the golden lights up ahead was moving, its halo getting bigger.  Then I realized I could hear the sound of horses' trotting feet hitting the sandy stone pavers up on ahead – somewhere through the gray mist.

     “Akuli, is that you?” Chaliani called out.

     A voice rang out.  “Yes, my Eye.”

The light slowly enveloped us all.  Akuli’s arm lifted high, the brightness of his lantern revealed everyone in a warm glow.  Myria was there by his side, holding the bridle reins of two dark horses which stood patiently next to her.  Akuli held the reins of a third in the other hand.

Myria cautiously smiled then at me then under the warm glow of the lamplight, and I realized at that moment that I was content.  So immeasurably glad I was that she was there, I knew immediately that this trip was not one of exile.  It was anything but that.  Anywhere she was there could be no place of exile.

“Myria,” Chaliani called out in surprise.  “What are you doing here, my dear?”

“I am coming with them,” she said.

He quickly looked at Akuli and then at me.  “You both knew about this, gauging from your reaction.”

I nodded.  “Yes, we discussed it earlier today,” I said.

He slowly looked back at Myria, shaking his head.  “I know you well enough to realize that you understand the seriousness of what you do, and that I have no chance of dissuading you.  Your father will be very upset when he finds out, though.”