Chapter One: The Strength of the Afro

"No!" Shouted the leader of military squadron 69. The leader had just looked at the application for the army given to him by the man in front of him 

"But my mom and I spent hours working on the application," Said Raw Ham. Raw Ham was a young, skinny boy with a humongous, black Afro who has always wanted to be in the military and serve his country. Now that he was finally old enough he decided to sign up.

"Look kid you're just too scrawny," Said the leader with just a hint of pity for the kid "not to mention your giant Afro gives you away." Raw Ham began to cry. 

"Crybaby!" Shouted someone in the line to sign up. 

"Hurry up, we don't have all day!" Exclaimed another person.

Raw Ham ran out of the building crying. He knew he couldn't go home now he promised his brother he would get in and if he found out that he didn't he would kill him. Rain began to fall lightly. Raw Ham looked at his reflection in a forming puddle. He saw his crying face and knew he'd never be good enough to make it into the army. He forced himself to stop crying, got up, and started to head home.

"I heard you didn't make it rat!" He heard someone shout behind him. He turned around to see his brother wielding a wooden baseball bat. "Come here now!" He screamed. Raw Ham bolted in the other direction and his brother chased after him.

Raw Ham knew he'd never be able to outrun his brother but he could outsmart him. In Raw Ham's free time he had studied the city of Old Kork and knew almost every in and out. He knew if he could get to the alley down 7th street he could jump off the dumpster on the side and jump over the brick wall separating the alley and another one. His brother would be too dumb and try to climb the wall. The plan was foolproof.

He ran across 7th street and turned down the alley. He noticed the dumpster and the wall were still there (not that a wall could move). He ran with all his might jumped on the dumpster and pushed as hard as he could against the dumpster as he jumped. He jumped towards the wall and SMACK! He hit his head right on the wall.

Dizzy and worn out he fell to the ground in the alley. He saw his brother turn the corner and slowly walk towards him holding the bat. Raw Ham knew there was no way out now. He was ready to take the beating like all the times before. He was too scrawny to join the army he knew he deserved this. As his brother got close to him he lifted his bat. Raw Ham closed his eyes but didn't cry he stood strong.  After a couple of seconds, he realized the bat never hit him. Had he not felt the pain? He opened his eyes and noticed a hand had grabbed the bat right above his head. 

"Back off!" Said the man who grabbed the bat. The man was very muscular but Raw Ham couldn't see the rest of him due to the darkness of the alley. Raw Ham's brother got the bat loose of his hand and swung it down towards the man. The man moved slightly to the left then pushed upwards with his right hand punching Raw Ham's brother right in the jaw. He fell to the ground knocked out.

"You ok?" Asked the man approaching into the light. Raw Ham saw him fully now. He was super muscular all around with long brown hair and blue eyes, but what really caught his attention is that the man had no left arm. "Are you just going to stare at my missing arm or answer me." Said the man. 

"Yeh I'm fine," said Raw Ham standing up his head still throbbing from hitting the wall.

"The names Kenny Barnes and Noble, but you can just call me Kenny," said the man. 

"Nice to meet you," said Raw Ham reaching out his left hand. Kenny nodded towards his missing arm. "Oh yeah right," said Raw Ham switching his hands. Kenny shook his hand laughing. Raw Ham joined in the laughter too.