Chapter One | Matt

Ilı.lıllılı.ıllı.
S͎n͎e͎a͎k͎e͎r͎s͎ | Monma
{0:36}────◉───────── {2:29}
↠ⁿᵉˣᵗ ˢᵒⁿᵍ ↺ ʳᵉᵖᵉᵃᵗ ⊜ ᵖᵃᵘˢᵉ
ᴠᴏʟᴜᴍᴇ: ▮▮▮▮▮

Edd takes a sip of his coffee, feeling the warmth going down his throat against the chill of the room around him. It was the usual early morning routine, slow and cold. Edd needed to get working on his projects to show to the world, not because he needed to, but because he wanted to. This was his passion. Something he loved.

Edd finished his coffee, setting it down on the coaster. Sighing and standing from his chair creating a noise throughout the house. Cursing himself he quickly grabbed the cup, and set it in the sink. He slid around on his socks down the hall to his small office.
"Edd." Matt called, sitting at the top if his stairs with his arms wrapped around his knees. "Can you make me some breakfast?"
Edd stopped, holding a hand on the doorway to his office, "Good morning."

Matt waited for an answer.
"You know I need to do some more work." Edd looked at him, stepping into his messy office.

He bent down and picked up a few crumpled papers and set them in the trash. Matt quietly made his way to Edd's doorway.
"But you also know that all of this isn't going to pay the bills, right?" Matt crossed his arms and leaned on the wall. Edd stopped, standing up and looking at Matt through the morning darkness. He narrowed his brown eyes at the ginger man.
"I know that." Edd spoke.
"Then why do you continue? It feels like the rest of us have to do all the work." He rolled his eyes, "What is your work even about? Writing?"
"No." Edd said bitterly, "It's none of your business."
"That's right, it's not business."
"Why are you doing this so early in the morning?"
Matt stood up and walked to Edd, resting a hand on his shoulder. Edd stared at Matt's hand for a moment then looked up at him.
"I just want you to be apart of us. We are all friends... For the most part." He shrugged lightly, "You're always in this small room hunched over your desk for something we don't even know about. I asked you to make me some breakfast so I could swoop in and help with a child-like smile on my face. I do want to spend time with you."
Edd grabbed Matt's hand and and took it off his shoulder.
" Just leave. I'll talk to you in a few hours for lunch. I'll make something then okay?"
Matt looked at Edd, blinking a few times before sighing and turning around to leave.
Edd's shoulders dropped and he flopped down in his office chair.

Lunchtime rolled around quickly. Tord had his breakfast at Edd's office door, trying to talk to him about why Matt was acting differently lately. Edd added short responses while he drew. Edd didn't think much of it, he was focused.
Tord left saying "It's Lunch." In a rather ominous tone. Edd jumped from his seat looking at the time and throwing on his sweater. He made it to the kitchen and called out to everyone in the house,
"What do you guys want for lunch?!" Edd huffed, standing over the stove. Tom was already in the kitchen, rolling his eyes at Edd.
"I can make food myself."
"Then fucking make it yourself!" Edd snapped. He gasped, still clutching the sides of the stove. Tom just stared.
After a long pause, "What?"
Edd felt a tugging feeling in his gut, a burning lump growing in his throat.
"Make your own damn food." He said quietly, hunching over the stove. Tom stood up and placed food on the counter.
"I already did." Tom whispered with a notable venom in his tone. Edd didn't move.

There was no taking back his words. Even if he said sorry, Edd wouldn't feel like he did anything. These were his friends, people he nearly called family. As he thought about this Tom left the bowl of food there and exited the room. Edd hummed a tune to himself, a tune his mother used to sing when he felt scared. It was a soft broken melody like touching blades of smooth green grass with dead leaves, especially through the tears that were welcoming themselves to Edd's cheeks.