Ch1: Heaven on its Head

Warnings: Mentions of drugs and alcohol, and a mean Aunt.

Your POV:

The rain drizzled violently outside the car window, and looming gray clouds seemed to blanket the world in a dull, and gloomy cocoon. Inside the sparkling blue car my fingers chased the rain drops that ran down the window, and my sunken eyes got heavier with every passing second. Moments like this, where my mind was as silent as it could ever hope to be, and the world seemed to melt together, were always my favorite.

I looked to my mom as the car slowed to a stop and rested on the driveway of Aunt Nevaeh's house. Mom turned over at me with a kind, but exhausted smile on her face. It was quite clear that she was not eager to return to work. Still, she reached her hand out and rested it on my knee and she whispered;

"Now I know that you don't like this, but I need you to be brave for mommy, okay? Auntie will take care of you while I'm at work, then I'll be back."

It was the smallest voice in the back of my mind that worried that she could be lying. Afterall, it seemed that my family had a certain fondness of lying. He always did, infact lying seemed to be like breathing to him. The invasive thought stung my eyes, so I hastily brought my hand to my face to wipe it away. 

Then I stuck out my hand to her, "Pinky swear?"

Mom laughed sweetly and wrapped her pinky around mine with an adoring smile, "Pinky swear."

 With that mom hopped out of the car and opened the door on my side. I quickly grabbed my plush horse and my favorite book, entitled Matilda by Roald Dahl, and bounced out of the car. Mom bent down to me and fastened the buttons on my favorite gray trench coat. She then put her slightly calloused hands on both sides of my face and kissed my forehead. 

Then she grasped my hand and turned to face Aunt Nevaeh's house. It was a modest red brick house just on the side of the busiest street in Reading. Most of the brick was chipped, and so was the paint on the gray door. The grass in her garden was almost as tall as myself, and was littered with weeds. 

I jumped up the two small steps to her house, and mom knocked on the door. We stood there for about two minutes before the door swung open. In the mouth of the door was a very beautiful lady. She had the same wavy blonde hair as mom, pursed, thin lips, and a smooth face covered in bold makeup. Her hand was on the door supporting her leaning body, and despite her pretty appearance, her face was twisted in disgust. 

"You were suppose to be here 10 minutes ago!" She snapped at mom. "I have a date tomorrow morning, and I need sleep!"

Mom pushed by her with a grim look on her face, and pulled me inside the house. It looked far worse on the inside than the outside, not to mention smaller as well. Her carpet had an ugly pattern that reminded me of those in casinos. Not only did it look like a casino, it smelled like one too. The sickening smell of cigarette smoke wafted around the air, and mingled unpleasantly with the smell of alcohol.