Chapter 2

Darry's POV:

I walk into school full of confidence about asking Elizabeth out. I didn't tell my brothers that she was a Soc because I was a little worried about what they would think. Maybe Pony is only 11, and Soda, 15, only believes in wanting everyone to be happy no matter weather you're a Greaser, middle class or Soc, but I was still feeling a little self conscious.

"You can do it, Dar," I whisper to myself, questioning myself more and more as I made my way to her locker. What if she said no? Would I embarrass myself in front of everyone? Should I not ask her? I sighed, as I watch everything swirl around in my mind, but as soon as I see Elizabeth I knew I had to ask her. I looked at her. Skinny, curvy, long, glossy brown hair, everything a guy could want in a girl... But I really care about her personality. I mean, looks are good, and yeah, she is the prettiest girl I've ever seen, but she's also the sweetest. From the few times I've talked to her, I know she's not like other Socs. She cares about others, she's not a total bully, and she doesn't care that I'm a Greaser. She's just on my mind all the time...

"Hey, Dar!" Breaking into my thoughts was my Freshman buddy, Two-Bit yells from his locker, which is next to mine. I waved, but walked right past him, onto Elizabeth's locker, which was still a little farther.

"Liz, fix your hair," one of the girls standing next to her says. I've never understood why girls traveled in groups.

"Why? Does it look bad?" She asks, worriedly. I look at her and smile. Her hair is perfect, not a strand out of place. I don't know why she was so worried. It looked shiny and beautiful, just like everyday.

"Yeah, it looks awful!" The girl -I think her name is Jewel- says, trying to smooth it down for her, but she just frizzed it. Elizabeth turns red as a tomato. She's so cute when she's embarrassed. I look down at her outfit, a SHORT blue dress and black heels. She looks... Hot. I walk over to her, trying to look calm and cool.

"Hey, Elizabeth. Can I talk to you for a minute?" I ask. She smiles.

"Uh... Sure," she says, shyly, brushing her hair behind her ear.

"Cool, let's go over here," I say pointing her out of the way so her friends don't hear. Jewel gives me a dirty look and mumbles something under her breath. Elizabeth looks sad but says quietly,

"Whatever you want to say to me you can say around my friends." I give her a sideways glance, she doesn't sound too excited about that, but I know Jewel made her say it.

"I... I was wondering, do you want to go out sometime?" I ask, shoving my hands in my pocket. Jewel, obviously the leader of the group, takes her aside and whispers something in her ear.

Looking like she's about to cry, Elizabeth says, "Sorry... I don't go out with Greasers." I walk away without another word.

Elizabeth's POV:

"Hey, Elizabeth. Can I talk to you for a minute?" Darry Curtis asks, coming up to me. My heart flutters.

"Uh... Sure," I say.

"Cool, let's go over here," he says pointing to the right. I open my mouth to say something, but I hear a voice mumbling,

"You better stay over here... Or else." That voice belongs to my "best friend", Jewel Scott. I have to admit, she's a total jerk, but I don't feel a need to complain. Darry doesn't seem phased by this, because he simply responds with a shoulder shrug and gets to his point.

"I... I was wondering. Do you want to go out sometime?" He asks and jams his hands in his pocket. I froze, unable to open my mouth for an answer. I desperately want to say yes, but Jewel drags me to the side.

"He's a filthy Greaser. You cannot go out with him. Find someone good," she says, and drags me back. I know it's a bad idea to say yes, as much as I want to.

"Sorry... I don't go out with Greasers," I mumble and walk away to my class. Darry goes in the other direction, to his locker. I look back at him, he looks hurt and confused. I feel like crying, but I try to forget about it. Since I already have my books, I make my way to my first class, English. I sit down in my assigned seat and open my binder to a fresh page, ready to take notes and forget about everything for a while. But I can't. He's on my mind 24/7, every minute of every day.

"Elizabeth!" Someone yells, snapping out of my daydream. I look up.

"Oh. Hi, Rose," I say to Rose Taylor, one of Jewel's friends. Jewel rules all of the Socs, she's their queen, but the princess, her best friend would obviously be Rose. When Jewel's not around, we're taking orders from her.

"Hi yourself. Jewel told me about what you said to that Greaser kid... What's his name? Daniel or something? You shouldn't have said sorry to him! You were supposed to step on him like a bug. He should know that he is NOT fucking allowed to go out with a Soc," she says and I don't know how to respond. First of all, his name is Darrel, not Daniel. And what if I wanted to go out with him? What would they say to that?

"But..." I say quietly. Suddenly someone sits on the other side of me.

"Hi, Elizabeth," Says a voice. I look over.

"Hi Darry," I mumble to him before taking my notebook up to the teacher.

"I... I feel sick. May I go to the nurse?" I ask. I talk quickly because I feel tears welling up in my eyes and I don't want to start crying in the middle of class.

"Are you alright?" He asks. I shake my head no and run out before he can respond. A few kids are in the hall, so I duck into the nearest bathroom. Locking the stall, I sink down to my knees and sob.

The one time I have a chance with him, and I was more worried about what those sorry excuses for friends would think. I couldn't believe it. I made a terrible decision. I'd hurt the one boy that I truly care about. Sometimes I really just hate my friends. Sometimes I hate Socs. But most of the time, I just hate myself.