Five

My eyes snapped open then instantly squeezed shut again to escape the stabbing light above. I slid my eyes open again then slowly pushed myself to a sitting position and looked around at my surroundings. The first thing I realized was that the offending light was a very bright lightbulb in a very white room, almost unnaturally white. The second thing I realized was that I was wearing a short *ss white dress. It was strapless and so short that I was pretty sure if I bent over I would show off my *ss. I was also wearing white socks and was laying on a white bed. In fact, the only thing in the room with color was the blood red key on a white string around my neck.

I pushed through my mind, searching furiously for something to tell me where I was or what the h*ll was going on, but I couldn't find anything. I don't mean just anything about the situation. I mean anything at all. I realized that I couldn't remember a single thing about about myself. There was just an endless gray fog where memories should have been. I couldn't even remember my own name. I needed to know what was going on.

I slipped my feet out of the bed and onto the floor then looked around the room for a way out.  The only evidence of a door was a white handle one would see on a sliding door, but the outline of the frame was so closely cut into the wall that there was practically no seam. Just one big wall with a handle, but I wasn't fooled that easily. I gripped the handle then leaned back trying to open it, but it wouldn't move. I paused, frowning at the stubborn door then leaned my full weight on the part of the wall I was certain was the door until it clicked and moved out an inch. I leaned back again and this time the now visible door slid obediently to the side.

I found myself standing in a hexagonal room with a door just like the one I walked through on every side. One after the other, I tried each door but none of them would give until I got to the one left of my door. It easily slid to the side, opening into yet another white room, this one with five white square, cushioned chairs positioned in front of a large black screen that covered a great portion of the wall. I walked up to it then looked around for a button to turn it on, then, after concluding that there was none, poked the screen.

The screen lit up and the words "Number Five Identified" appeared in red letters against a white background. Number five? I looked down at the key around my neck and found that a number five had been carved out of the head. I guess that was me. The screen beeped and I looked back up. There was a sequence of numbers, each in a different color, a blue 1, a pink 2, a green 3, a purple 4, and a red 5, all above black letters that read "Identify all players." I frowned. Players? That sounded suspiciously like I'd been kidnapped to play a sick rich man's twisted game. I swear, if a puppet with a target on its face showed up, I was going to lose it.

I looked around the room and saw another door that I immediately ran over to and tried to open. The moment I pulled at the handle the screen beeped angrily at me and the black letters flashed three times before becoming still again. I stomped back over to the screen and stare at it. "Identify all players," I read again. My eyes snapped to the red 5, and I realized it had a pulsing aura. I thought back to the four locked doors in the hexagonal room then rolled my eyes when it clicked that there were meant to be four other people here and that I had to wait around for them to show up. I took a few steps back then parked my butt in one of the chairs to wait.

The seats were actually pretty wide, wide enough in fact that I could lay comfortably on my side, provided that I pulled my knees up to my chest, which is what I did as I continued to wait. I would have started have started counting ceiling tiles if there were any while the endless seconds ticked by, and I waited and waited and waited. I started to think that the others were trapped back there (the door had been a bit tricky) when I finally heard a door slide open, and a masculine voice asked, "Hello? Is anyone here?" I would have answered except someone else responded before I could.