Chapter 18

Hey guys! Sorry for switching the views so much in this chapter!

Anyway, starting Thursday, can you please vote for The Promise Ring? It's entered in The Best Of Me Movie Contest. Thanks! 

Clove sat up on her bed, hand running through her hair in frustration. She didn't want to seem desperate, but Cato always picked up when she called. Always. Even when it was three in the morning and he was just in a deep sleep. Even when it was in the middle of dinner and it was taco night. Even when he was in the middle of a hockey game and he heard his phone ring from the bench. He always picked up for Clove. Except this time, he wasn't.

It rang and rang and rang, until it went to voice mail. Cato's voice came through the phone, and Clove bit her lip. "Hey, it's Cato! I can't get to the phone right now, but leave a message and I'll get back to you as soon as possible!" 

Clove sighed and after the beep, she said, "Hey, Cato. It's me, Clove. I just wanted to see if you wanted to hang out tonight. I'm sorry if I'm bothering you, you're probably busy. Everyone else is, which is really weird. Anyway, call me back when you get this. Thanks, bye." On that note, she hung up the phone. 

She bit the inside of her cheek, tossing her phone on her bed. Clove sat down at her laptop, and opened up a new Word document. She was about to begin typing when the telephone began to ring. She rushed into her parents' room, where one of the house phones was located, and snuck a glance at the caller ID. She groaned. It wasn't Cato. She let the call go to voice mail, retreating back to her bedroom. 

***

It took everyone ten minutes to gather at Finnick's house. They had to wait on Madge, who was in the middle of curling her hair. But eventually, Finnick called the so called "intervention" to order. 

"First order of business, the only order of business, in fact," he started out with, eyeing each person in the group. "We need to get Cato and Clove together." 

The first to respond was marvel, who with narrowed eyes and furrowed eyebrows, said, "Aren't they already best friends? They hang out all of the time." Johanna slapped him upside the head. "Yeah, they're best friends you dumb-ass. What Finnick is saying, is that we need to get them to date." 

Jackie put her hand up, signaling Jo to stop speaking. "Clove told us not to do anything," she pointed out. "So, count me out." Annie smirked. "We aren't going to do anything," she countered. "Cato and Clove are." 

Everyone cast her confused looks. She laughed before clarifying, "We are just going to go out, maybe go dancing or something, like we normally would as friends. Like our trips down to the bowling alley. Just put Cato and Clove against each other or with one another, and who knows? They act like they're dating. Maybe with our subtle hints, they'll see that." 

Jackie grinned, rubbing her hands together. "Screw it," she said, "you guys can count me in." 

***

Clove's cell phone rang two hours later. She had typed up at least two chapters of a novel she had been working on, and edited them. She immediately sprang from her seat, dashing towards the device on her mattress. "Hello?" she said, picking it up without checking who was calling. 

"Hello?" she repeated after a few seconds, getting no answer in response. She could faintly hear music, and loud cheers and laughter. "Come on Cato!" a voice said in the distance. Clove quickly checked the caller ID. Cato Hadley. 

He butt dialed me, she thought. With a roll of her eyes, she shut off her phone, tossing it back on her bed. With a yawn, the teenage girl curled up under some blankets, her eyes coming to a close. 

***

Cato had never drank so much before in his life. 

He told himself to only have one beer, two tops. But two soon turned into three, and four, and so on. He felt completely wasted, which was bad, considering he was supposed to go out with the gang the following night. "Cato..." Glimmer slurred, giggling. She was even more drunk then he was. 

Cato's head was spinning. He had trouble walking, and he couldn't tell left from right. "Hey, Glimmer?" he said, turning to face the other blonde. She giggled again in reply. "I'm gonna head on home." Any more partying would lead to some embarrassing things. Since she was so drunk, she didn't think anything of it. 

Glimmer just nodded, and Cato left the party, but not before Glimmer gave him a big sloppy kiss on the lips.

***

Clove woke up with a start. She was shaking, her cheeks red and palms clammy. Tears streamed down her cheeks like a river, and she felt light headed. "Oh God," she muttered, scrambling to her feet and to the bathroom. She knelt in front of the toilet, and threw up her dinner. It had to be at least two in the morning. Clove could hear faint snoring coming from her mom and dad's room. 

Without thinking twice about it, Clove returned to her room and slipped on a pair of gym shoes. She left her phone where it was, and opened up her window. She swung her body through it, careful not to fall. Before she knew it, she was running across her lawn, and down the street.