Calm Before the Storm

Nico POV

The wedding is tomorrow.

Yesterday Will spent the entire day with Mr. Anderson's kids and watching them hang out together made it seem as if they'd always been siblings and didn't just meet a week or two ago.

It all seemed like everything was going well until the live band that Naomi booked said they might not be able to make it here tomorrow and she's been in a panic ever since. Mr. Anderson had been trying to go into their room and comfort her but she's locked him out, saying that they couldn't see each other until the wedding so eventually, he left.

It's been an hour since then, and I seem to be the only one noticing her haggard looking form slumping its way down the stairs. With smudged mascara and bloodshot eyes, she walks into the living room and knocks so quietly on the wall, I'm not even sure I heard it or simply imagined it.

Everyone seems too engrossed in the game of Candyland (M.J's request) to notice her. I lightly nudge Will's shoulder with my own and he looks up, his smile seeming brighter than the sun. I jut my chin forward toward where Naomi is and he turns toward her. "Hey, mom." He says, loud enough so that everyone knows to quiet down.

Naomi sends him a groggy smile. "I just wanted to use the phone." She says quietly, pointing to the landline hoisted up on the wall to my left. Will nods his head immediately and clears his throat.

"M.J, would it be alright if we played this another time?" He says in a soft voice. M.J takes one rather pitiful look at Naomi and nods her head before cleaning up the game pieces.

We all clear out of the room as Naomi hobbles over to the landline, punches in some numbers, and brings the receiver up to her ear. "That was weird." I hear Monique murmur next to me.

"What was?" I ask, forcing my gaze away from Ms. Solace.

"Candyland."

"It's a game for kids."

"I know that, but there was no actually candy. It was just painted onto the board so what was the point?"

"That's pretty cynical of you." I chuckle.

"Whatever, Ghost King." She retorts with a smile before heading into the kitchen.

"Mom!" I hear Will say in a rather strained voice. I whip around to find him tight in the embrace of his mother's arms.

"It's all going to be fine!" She exclaims. "The band will be here tomorrow!"

"That's... great, mom! I can't... really breathe-"

"Sorry, honey." Naomi says as she lets go of Will with a smile. "I thought the wedding was going to be ruined! Thank God, everything worked out."

"It's your big day, mom. Everything will be perfect, as long as you remember the dress." Will starts to chuckle but Naomi's face has gone chalk white, eyes as wide as saucers.

"Did I get the dress?" She mutters under her breath.

"Mom." Will says, putting a hand on her shoulder. "You got it last weekend, remember?" Naomi exhales heavily with a forced laugh.

"I- I think I'm going to go take a nap." She says with a smile before marching her way back up to her room. Will furrows his eyebrows before shaking his head and turning to me with a smile.

"Time to go shopping!"

***

We arrived at this store in the mall that sells fancy clothing just like the kind we're looking for. Will's mom loaned him some money so that we'd be able to get some new clothes since she deemed the suits we'd already had as "underdressed". Plus, she wanted the kids to all have on pink, blue, or any assortment of pastel colors.