Second Face

This is a twist where Tsuna found his mask at an early age instead of finding it later on. Enjoy~!
_____________________________________

The first time Reborn met Tsuna, he was flailing about and tripping over stairs, screeching about him being late to school and all that. His first thought about that boy was how pathetic he was, followed by another thought that this boy must be a Joker judging by how many times he has tripped on his own two feet for the past few minutes. But the yellow Guardian mask tied securely around his neck, a bright contrast against his dark vest as the teen hurried down the streets told him otherwise.

And that's where Reborn's confusion began.

Despite the blatant display of Tsuna's willingness to sacrifice himself for the sake of others like any Guardian would, Reborn can't help but think how... wrong it looked on him, how awkward and out of place it was on the boy's face when he wears it, which really baffled the hitman.

Masks are said to be an extension of one's soul, a physical representation of what and who you are meant to be. So the fact that Tsuna's mask is giving out a feeling of wrongness to him meant either two things: either the Guardian mask isn't Tsuna's real mask or he's just pretending to be something he's not supposed to be.

But that can't be right. For the past few months, the only mask Reborn had ever seen around the boy was the yellow Guardian mask he kept on his neck and while he could be pretending, his actions during his confrontation with Mukuro does fall under what any Guardian would do when faced with similar situations, thus disproving about his latter hypothesis.

So why in the world does Tsuna's mask bothered him so much?

Reborn got his answer during the Ring Conflict.

After the brief confrontation with the Varia, Tsuna had gone quiet at home, his face wearing a pensive look as Iemitsu babbled on about his job. When morning came with a surprise in the form of a half Sky ring around his neck, Tsuna had merely sighed and slightly adjusted his mask before getting ready for the day. When he found out about his friends being in a similar situation as him, Tsuna once again looked thoughtful, his eyebrows knitted together as he contemplated about something in silence.

Reborn, curious as he was about Tsuna's sudden silence, did nothing about it, choosing to let his student be this time around. Later, Reborn would slightly regret about his decision and bemoaned the fact that had he done that earlier, he would've known about Tsuna's secret much much earlier.

When the night for the Sky Battle finally came, everyone had gathered at the school ground, the Cervellos waiting patiently for them to start the first fight. Before they could do anything though, Tsuna immediately stepped forward, much to everyone - especially Reborn's - surprise.

"What are you doing, Dame-Tsuna." Reborn whispered sharply at him since he's riding on Tsuna's head.

"What I should've done a long time ago," the teen answered as he pulled his mask off. Before Reborn could ask any further, the hitman stared in horror as Tsuna pried his mask into two and oh god, he's going to be sick and why the fuck is this child doing that?!

Except... Tsuna wasn't really looking discomforted as he gently tugs out a delicate piece from the bright gentle face he always wears and... it's a mask, the most intricate yet simple half mask he has ever seen. The way the top had taken shape reminded Reborn of a crown as he stared at it. The mask reminded him a bit about the masquerade masks that was full of designs meant to wow the crowd instead of telling your Role.

"Tsuna, what-"

"Hush, Reborn. Let me handle this," Tsuna assured him as he slips the intricate mask on, his Guardian mask now hangs securely on his right hip. Reborn, for reasons unknown, felt really calm and safe after Tsuna spoke, a feeling he hadn't felt for a really long time. Not since Luce...

Shaking his head, Reborn quickly forced himself to focus back at the present moment, curious as to what Tsuna is planning to do. Calmly, Tsuna stopped at the center where the Cervellos were standing, took a deep breath-

-and immediately released the most intense Sky flames Reborn had ever felt, pulsing out in waves and slamming at everyone's cores, demanding to be heard, to be heeded and obeyed, tugging at their instinct and making them wanting to establish a bond, a Flame imprint on the pure Sky flame brushing against theirs and the need to just surrender their control over to him...

And as suddenly as it appeared, it immediately disappeared from their senses, causing everyone to reel in shock at the surge of power and the sudden emptiness in their chest. Most of the Cervellos had collapsed on their knees, gasping for air like as if they had just been drowned a few moments ago. Tsuna's guardians and Dino however, looked a bit dazed and confused.

"So..." Tsuna smiled innocently at the Varia as they tried to collect themselves back, his mask now pulled down to rest comfortably against his chest, "Do you still want to continue?"

Later, after Tsuna had a battle with Xanxus that ended with a reveal about the head Varia's past, Tsuna easily plucked out the ring from Xanxus and was declared the winner for the Ring Conflict. Xanxus, now exhausted both physically and emotionally from his fight (that was really one-sided), Xanxus glared at the boy whom had defeated him. "What the fuck was that, you fucking bastard." he growled at the future Decimo. Reborn, who was perched on Tsuna's head, kept quiet as he carefully watched the scarred man.

"About what?" Tsuna asked in return.

"You know what I'm referring to." the older man spat out, glaring half-heartedly at him.

Tsuna gave a small smile at him, his hand fiddling a bit with the half mask hanging from his neck. "No, I actually don't. Are you asking about how I'm currently sitting beside you as if you didn't just try to kill me just now or are you asking about my mask?"

Xanxus just growled in response, causing the teen to chuckle lightly. Everyone who was there could only stare in disbelief as the two opposing Skies were talking to each other as if they hadn't just tried to kill one another just moments ago. Reborn himself had raised an eyebrow in interest at this new development.

Tsuna finally explained to them after he adamantly demanded to visit the Varia. His real mask, the half mask that is now hidden back within the Guardian mask, is an Ancient that has the power to influence others - King. Reborn, thanks to his excellent memory, recalled back about the time he had read up on Ancients out of curiosity a long time ago.

Ancients are masks that have existed for as long as anyone could remember, existing in stories and folk lores that was told throughout the world. Because of their rich and long history, Ancients are said to be able to grant its wearer certain powers. Ancients are also unique in the fact that they never have more than one wearer and are rarely seen in today's day and age.

Tsuna's Ancient, a King, is said to be able to influence even a Rebel or a Rogue to do its bidding depending on the wearer's strength. Based on what had happened earlier, Reborn has no doubt that if it wasn't for Tsuna being raised and taught to have the core value of a Guardian, he would have easily took over the whole world by now.

"I suppose we should be thankful that Dame-Tsuna is a Dame-Tsuna," he remarked, which was met by a few nods and an indignant squawk from the boy himself.