Chapter 26

It was two days before Thanksgiving, and Julie watched as Anne and Gemma hurried around her kitchen putting the bags of groceries away which had suddenly appeared that morning.  She had been told to sit down and relax and that after the past couple of years of experiencing Thanksgivings, they had this.  Apparently, Thanksgiving dinner was going to be held at her and Harry's new place.  Not the original plan, so, Harry must have come up with this cockamamie idea all in his own.

Julie shook her head at all of the bags still full, scattered around the kitchen.  "This is a lot of food.  Harry's up to something, isn't he?"  Julie looked at Anne and Gemma who glanced at each other and then kept putting things away.  "And the two of you are in on it.  What the hell?"

"None of that now, darling."  Anne looked at Julie.  "This day is always for you, just trust him."

Just trust him.  Yeah, she did trust him, but things were a little strained right now.  They weren't exactly understanding each other very well in the moment, and this just seemed like a lot.  And why all of a sudden did he want to have everything here?  Not long ago, it was ok to have it at Anne's.  Julie wrinkled her eyebrows when the doorbell rang.  "Are we expecting someone?"

Anne laughed.  "Not me, love.  But it is your home."

"Yeah, but I don't know anyone here that would come ringing the doorbell."  Julie got up from the stool and went to the door.  She stood on her toes to look out the peep hole and then paused a moment at what she saw.  She shook her head when the doorbell rang again bringing her from her stupor.  She opened the door to see Jaime, Gregory, and Marcus standing on the step.  What were they doing here?  Before she was wrapped tightly in Jaime's arms, she caught a glimpse of Harry over their shoulders getting bags out of the trunk of his car.

"Girlfriend!"  Jaime exclaimed hugging Julie tightly.  "I've missed you.  Well, we've missed you, but I've missed you more."  He kissed her cheek as he smiled down at her.

"What are you doing here?"  Julie asked him as she stepped back for a hug from Gregory.

"Your husband called a few days ago, said you could use some friends, and wanted to surprise you for Thanksgiving.  Who are we to pass up a free trip to the UK?"  Jaime grinned from ear to ear.

Julie nodded before turning to Marcus.  Of course he would do that.  Trying, way too hard, of course, to prove living here would still afford her the luxury of having her friends available to her.  He wouldn't learn.  Ever.  She raised her eyebrows at Marcus.  "And you went along with this, too?  I'm surprised."

"Hey, it's Thanksgiving, with my friends, including you, and like Jaime said, a trip to the UK."  He stepped forward and hugged her.  "Jaime may claim to have missed you more, but I don't know about that."

"It is really nice to see you guys.  Sorry, I'm just a bit shocked.  I knew Amanda and Niall and my mom and step-dad were coming tomorrow, but I didn't expect this."  Julie watched Harry smile at her as he carried the bags past them into the house and followed him with her eyes.  If he thought this was going to get him out of the discussion that was going to have to happen, he was dead wrong.

"Come in, please."  Julie said stepping inside and gesturing into the house.  "You guys want a drink or anything?  I'm sure you had a long day or night of traveling.  It's possible I can find some food and drink from the mess of my kitchen."

"We've got it covered."  Gemma said appearing behind Julie with a tray full of sandwiches and chips.  "Sandwiches and crisps.  And we have beer, wine, tea, water, juice, or anything from the bar."

"Chips, Gemma, they're chips."  Julie teased.  "They're all American; they may not understand you."

"Yeah, yeah, they'll eat them just the same."  Gemma smirked as she set the plate down.