Chapter 3

The morning was a hard one as I sat on my bed, trying to process my nightmare.

I walking down the streets in London, looking at shops and dresses and counting how much I was allowed to spend. I didn't remember how I got there or what had happened before. It was as if I had abruptly appeared on the streets.

So far, the dream seemed normal.

Suddenly I heard a loud horn. I turned and saw a red Honda barreling towards the intersection. And, on the other side, was a green colored Toyota in which a couple was sitting. They were laughing loudly, being completely at peace in their own world. The horn was heard again. Their laughing stopped and their eyes became wide. And before they could do anything, the two cars crashed.

After the explosion, two bodies were found, with blood covering their crushed skulls and eyes out of their sockets. The driver of the Honda wasn't anywhere, so it was declared that there hadn't been one there. There wasn't even a license plate on the car. The horns were blown by the onlookers trying to warn the couple. After examining the Honda, it was found that it was brand new, and nobody owned it.

And then I woke up, gasping.

This was exactly what the witnesses had explained while I was hyperventilating in shock.

I had to avenge my parents. After finding out that their death wasn't just some accident, it was the only way I would be able to find peace.

I ran down to the Western Union where I had received the telegram that changed my life. It was barely five o'clock, but it was open. I quickly dialed my Gran's number and said,

"Gran, it's Eve stop I've found them stop I'm joining them stop I'm avenging you-know-who stop Wish me luck stop I hope you're safe stop Love you stop."

I paid the man and went back to my hostel.

That evening I went back to the Espresso Room, and waited for my aunt to show up. I was waiting for about an hour when she came and I whispered, "I'm in, Aunt Delilah."

She smiled. "I'm proud, Eve. Now, let's go to the organization again, just to make it official."

"What are they going to make me do?"

She frowned. "Something I did not like."

I tried to lead the way, but she kept me to her side.

"I know the way." I protested. But the look in her eyes warned me to keep my mouth shut. So I followed her, always making sure that there was no one behind us, and this time she took me to the richer part of Hampstead. Lush gardens rolled down the hills. Beautiful mansions surrounded us. She took me to a white-washed house with gold colored roofs and rang the doorbell. A beautiful melody of bells was heard – again, it was Mozart. The door opened by a man who was dressed like a butler. He looked a little like my friend Andrea – upturned nose, high-arched eyebrows and dark eyes.

"Yes?" he asked in a French accent. "And you are, mademoiselle?"

"I do not wish to be introduced." Said my aunt. "And neither does my niece. You may go and tell the guests here that I am on urgent business."

He gave her a harsh look, but sighed. "Very well." And went inside. He came back after a while and said, "Welcome, mademoiselles."

Delilah ushered me in. Beautiful lights hung from the ceiling. The floor was made of polished white marble. Two flights of stairs led to the corridor upstairs. A thick red carpet covered the main hall.

"Aunt Delilah," I said quietly. "In the telegram, you mentioned a key. Where is it? Or rather, what is it for?"

She stiffened. "We'll talk about this later."