36. Only a Week

Sarah's POV.

Mom brings me my favourite, hot chocolate, and I take a sip of it, letting myself drift to my childhood for a moment.

I put down the mug on the side table and hold my mother's hand. "There's something I need to tell you," I tell her.

I let her feel my child using my powers. Being a witch herself, she'll know my baby's energy.

I see the recognition in her face. My mother exclaims, "oh, Sarah, my baby, you're going to be a mother! Congratulations, honey!" She hugs me and kisses my cheeks.

My dad comes to me and says, "that's great, Sarah! Congrats!" He hugs me, too, and then says, "I'll go wish Dane. This is great news!"

Once he'd left, I look at my brothers. Jordan keeps his gaze away from me, but Tim looks straight at me.

I smile and scoot closer to him. I hold his hand and let him feel my baby. He smiles slightly. "Congrats," he says.

Maybe because I'm hearing his voice after such a long time, I just can't hold back anymore. I quickly lean forward and hug him tight.

He seemed stunned for a second and I thought he won't be hugging me back, but then he reciprocates. His embrace is rough and I feel pain at my sides, but it's also perfect: this is how he always hugged me.

After we break the hug, I kiss his cheek, and make a mental reminder to tell mom to feed him more, although I'm sure she'd already tried.

He strokes my hair and oddly, I think of the last time he did that, right after telling me to stay away from Dane. This brings a smile on my face. Somehow everything bad transpired between us seems less important now.

"Stay the night," says my mom. I turn to her and tell her, "I can't, we've to go. Dane has some work to do early morning tomorrow."

"Then let him go, you stay here. Stay the whole week. Come on, your aunt would like to see you, too, and also everyone else in the pack!" says my mom.

"I—"

Tim cuts me off. "You're staying. I'll let the guys know, they would want to see you. I'll also send someone to let Lily know." He stands up and after briefly glancing at Jordan leaves the room saying, "we'll have your favourite cake for dessert, okay? So just stay."

After he'd left, I tell my mom, "but mom D—"

I get cut off again, this time by Jordan. He says to mom, "I'll drop her at Blue Streak next week. He can leave. Get her room ready," and leaves the room.

Me and my mom look at each other happy and excited.

"Just tell Dane, you'll stay here, okay? It'll be only for a week. He won't mind," says my mom.

He'll mind, but I don't tell her that and just nod.

I get out of the house and go to Dane who is talking to my father in front of the house. Once I'm close, dad leaves us alone. I tell Dane, "mom wants me stay."

He smiles and says, "that's great! I'll pick you up tomorrow."

"No. She wants me to stay for a week."

His smile is gone. With eyebrows raised, he asks, "a week?"

"Yeah. Only a week," I tell him shrugging.

"It's not only a week. I can bring you here again if she wants. We can come here next weekend."

"No. Please, I want to stay, too," I tell him pleadingly.

He sighs and looks frustrated. "Sarah, I can't just leave you here for week."

"Come on, Dane! I'll be fine here, more than fine! Mom is here to take care of me, and my dad and brothers are here, too. I'll be perfectly safe."

"Oh, so now that you've all made up, you don't need me anymore?" he asks frowning.

I laugh. "Oh baby, I need you the most, just not this week. Come on, don't be stubborn, let me stay. I'll be back before you know it."

"And what about me? Who'll take care of me?"

"You'll be fine. I'll ask Gabe to babysit you."

He grabs my waist and pulls me close, and says, "only a week. After that I'll take you home, no matter what."

"Only a week," I reassure him. "And you don't have to pick me up. Jordan will drop me home," I tell him grinning.

He looks surprised and then says, "no need for that. I'll come pick—"

I press my finger against his lips to shut him up. "This is my chance to make up with him. He'll drop me off at our home. Okay?"

I take my finger away and he reluctantly says, "okay."

"Only a week," he tells me again with wide open eyes.

I smile and repeat, "only a week."

I feel a little sad as I see Dane drive away. But I'm also excited to stay home and hangout with my mom, and also see everyone else.

It's only a week. Dane will be fine. I think.