Newcomer 2

That evening when Moomin and Snorkmaiden were each at home and Snufkin was tucked happily in his tent for the night, there was a rustling from near the riverbank. Snufkin grunted in his sleep and turned over on his thin mattress.

The rustling became louder and louder until about a dozen of Stinky-shaped beings, including Shonker, hopped out of the bushes and crept towards Snufkin's tent. They paused and looked back at Shonker, who nodded and said,

"That's the one- get him!"

___________________________________

Moomin had an undisturbed night, until he woke early with a horrible feeling in his stomach that something awful had happened.

He went downstairs and found Moominmamma preparing breakfast.

"Good morning Moomin," she said. "You're up early. Did you sleep well?"

"Yes Mamma," said Moomin as he sat down. "But... I can't shake this odd feeling that something's wrong."

"Oh, dear," said Moominmamma, setting mug of tea down in front of him. "You know Moomin, it probably has something to do with that relative of Stinky that you met yesterday. I always find that when I face confrontation I get a horrid feeling in my stomach."

"Yes..." said Moomin thoughtfully. "He was really awful to Snufkin. He threatened him."

"Threatened Snufkin?" Moominmamma frowned. "What do you mean?"

"He said we didn't know who we were dealing with, that we didn't want him as our enemy. He said that Snufkin ought to be afraid of him, and that he needed to learn his place. Snufkin was very brave."

"Oh, dear!" Moominmamma said anxiously. "Moomin, I think you'd better go and see if he's alright... That sounds like it may not have been an empty threat. Go on now, see if he wants to come for breakfast. I'm making pancakes."

"Okay," said Moomin, and he went to the front door. He opened it and walked across the veranda, then stopped dead in his tracks, staring at something at the foot of the steps leading up to Moominhouse.

Moomin screamed.

There, lying in the grass, was Snufkin. Only something was terribly wrong:

He wasn't moving. He lay as though he had passed out there and fallen at the foot of the steps. He didn't have his hat or his boots on, and from what Moomin could see there was blood on his face.

"Moominmamma!" Moomin cried as he dashed down the steps to Snufkin's side. "Come quick!"

Moominmamma came hurrying out from the scream.

"What's wrong, Moomin?"

"Its Snufkin!" Moomin sobbed, crouching down beside his best friend and staring at him as tears poured down his cheeks. Snufkin was very pale and his face looked like it was twisted up in pain.

Moominmamma raced down the steps and gasped as she saw Snufkin lying unconscious there.

"Oh my..." She whispered. "Oh, dear Snufkin..."

She reached down and placed a hand on Snufkin's shoulder.

"Snufkin," Moominmamma said quietly. "Snufkin, sweetie, can you hear me?" She gave him a very gentle shake. Snufkin remained silent and limp.

"Is he dead, Mamma?" Moomin choked, his voice breaking.

Moominmamma didn't reply at first, then she said urgently,

"Go and get Moominpappa."

Moomin gasped and sprinted back into the house, up the stairs and into his parents' room.