03. On The Team

Back at the police station, I was admitted straight through to Gibson's office, as usual. He looked surprised to see me. Typically, the moment the door was closed, we both started to talk at once.

I held up my hands and he fell silent. Before I basked in the glory of my discoveries, I did actually want to apologise. "I wanted to say sorry about yesterday. I was a bitch and I said some things I didn't mean."

"I appreciate that, Gee," said Gibson sincerely. "And don't worry; no harm done. I wanted to apologise too. My decision still stands, but I shouldn't have babied you like I did."

"That's okay. You only had my best interests at heart," I accepted, wanting to butter him up before I started to get desperate again.

"Exactly," agreed Gibson, looking relieved that I wasn't kicking off again. "So what brings you back down here so soon? I know you could have just picked up the phone if all you'd wanted was to apologise."

I hesitated. "It's about the Kasagi case..."

Gibson looked exasperated. "Gee, I thought we went over this enough already."

"Gibs, please let me finish!" I interrupted before we could get into another argument.

He was ready to carry on talking, but he sighed reluctantly and waved me on. "Fine. Make your point."

I smiled quickly, grateful he was giving me a chance even though his decision was apparently final. "I really think I could be of help on this. Serial killers are my specialty. I know how criminals' minds work more than anyone else here does."

Gibson opened his mouth to say something, but I held up my hand again. "I know this case is more dangerous than normal... And I'm reminding you again that I can take care of myself. I carry my gun at all times on the job and you already know I'm trained in both kendo and capoeira."

Gibson huffed, but didn't say anything. I was obviously arguing my point better than I had yesterday. Of course, yesterday I'd started shouting and then stormed out. I wasn't gonna risk my second chance at this conversation by doing the same thing again. Though my next point was the touch-and-go mark.

"Now please don't get mad..." I started cautiously.

"Why?" asked Gibson sharply, instantly suspicious.

It was a stupid thing to say. I didn't know why I'd said it. Whenever you tell someone not to get mad, they automatically get mad before you even say anything. Oh well. No way was I turning back now.

"I did some of my own investigating and I think Carter may have been involved in an affair," I said all at once before he could interrupt again. "I'm not sure yet how relevant to the case it is. And I think that we could also be looking at the possibility of two different killers."

Gibson looked torn between disapproval and amazement. He was thinking so hard that I could practically see the cogs turning in his head. He finally said, "You really think we could have two killers on our hands?"

He wasn't shouting at me! Result! But I stayed calm – he wasn't letting me on the case just yet. "Based on the amount of evidence I have, it doesn't look like a very big possibility at the moment. But I don't want to discount anything yet."

Gibson nodded. "That seems valid. Now... tell me everything you've found."

I recounted everything I'd already told Kenichi and more. Right down to every last detail. This was where I was really fighting my battle. The importance of my discoveries would now determine whether I was going to be allowed on this case once and for all.