EIGHT

"I don't know whether I should feel safer or more distressed over the fact that this town needs another vigilante to try to get it out of this mess." Ms. Magaña commented. She and Cara were both looking at the television screen, one in disbelief and the other almost solemnly.

Cara wasn't scared of the media attention but she was over the reactions that the attention caused. She stood looking at the screen almost as if she were inspecting it. There she was, mask and all, fighting the two men from the night before. The footage was not the best quality but undoubtedly the view could see what was occuring. The way the girl stood in the corner, the way the men fell to the ground after being knocked out, the way that Cara stopped for a second before the footage cut off. What the footage didn't show was the pure terror that the girls face and body held, the way the men yelled and spoke to the huntress, and the way that Cara looked in utter disgust at the two men.

'It seems that Hell's Kitchen needs more help than just one man alone can provide. This new female in a mask has seemed to be also feed up with what lurks beneath in the shadows of this city'

'As if Hell's Kitchen needed more trouble already.'

'This comes so sudden after Fisk promise to keep this city safe, you don't suppose this has caused some concern in his new plan?'

'I can't say but if it does, i hope that he can still execute what he had in mind out. These people, no matter who they think they are, are not the hero's this city needs right now.'

'But what if they are the ones that this city will need.'

'If a man like Fisk can't help us than I don't think that these masked vigilantes can help either. Wh-'

"Are you okay?" Cara's boss spoke, interrupting her from her focused stare at the screen.

"What do you mean?"

"Well," Ms. Magaña looked at the television screen before resting her eyes on Cara again. "Everything that has been going on, must not be easy to get used to."

Cara chuckled. "I'm getting used to it."

"Are you?" The older woman looked at her employee with sorrow. "I have no idea why you are here, I don't mean to push. But this place has never been in its lowest points. I remember a time before this and think... whether it was all real. I can't see the place which I think so fondly of. Which I remember so fondly of. I much less expect you to, being new to here and all. But I see this place, and it might seem absurd, but I think... no, I hope that it can go back to what it once was. But you, you never knew this place before, never had an attachment to keep you here. Yet.." She paused and looked at the television screen, which was still reporting on yesterday's events. " Yet you are here in the worst points of it's time."

Cara stared at the women. Her forehead creased making more wrinkles in her already creased face.

"You wonder why I came here?"

"No child, that I can see, a young woman trying to escape something she always had but never really wanted. But I can't find a reason for why you stayed."

Cara opened her mouth but couldn't find the words to speak. She couldn't tell her boss that she was here to try to help this city and its people. It would be absurd. It would only bring up more questions.
But what had stunned her the most was the woman's previous comment. 'A young woman trying to escape something that she always had but never really wanted'.

"I don't know, I- What do you mean by never really wanted." Cara said, quickly answering the given question and replacing it with one of her own.

"Well." Mrs. Magaña began. "Everyone leaves their home for something else. Whether it be because it was complete hell or a heavenly bliss, they leave. And it always comes down to the fact that they always lived their life in a certain pattern, they leave no matter how good it is for something else." She paused and looked up at Cara's clearly confused face. The elderly woman took one good look and chuckled. "What I mean to say is no matter how happy you are, something inside begs for something else, a change if you will. No one ever really wants it to be perfect always, people only want for things to be interesting or different."

Cara nodded her head, trying to process everything that the older woman had said. The reason she left was because she thought she could be of use in Hell's kitchen but she could help but think if that really was her only reason. She had made her old city livable, a place where the law enforcement could keep an eye on and be able to protect it. Her job was done, she lived up to what her original plan was and yet, here she was. After all, she had her family, friends, and city safe. She a place where she could live out her life in peace, maybe needing to do some checkups in her other persona once in a while, but for the most part, Cara had it all. Yet, she was here. Doing it all again.

"Now tell me," Mrs. Magaña interrupted Cara's thoughts. "isn't that your case?"

"I-" Before Cara could respond to Mrs. Magaña's comment, the front door of the Carahome was opened and In walked a man with red tinted glasses accompanied by a man with shaggy hair that she had met the day before.