One

The large oak grandfather clock in the hall chimed out the seventh hour, but the woman sat at the base of it didn't budge. She continued to lean against it, eyes staring blankly down the hallway and at the front door. She wasn't aware of how long she had been sat there, but she didn't really care.

It was seven am in the morning, and the hall was flooded with the morning light, highlighting the woman's face, turning the tear tracks on her face silver. Still she sat and waited, waiting for the door to burst open, Aurors to seize her and for her to be shipped off to Azkaban.

Why wouldn't she be? She had been created to destroy Harry Potter, and the boy who lived had killed Lord Voldemort only hours prior. The dark side had lost. They were rounding up the last of them, and Helena Riddle was sure she would be next.

She raised her arm and took the last swig from the bottle, tilting her head back and allowing every last drop to hit her throat. After it was empty she laid it on the floor next to her then gave it a push, letting it roll along the floor. It hit the umbrella stand, bounced off it then rested against it.

Tired now, she lay on her side, curled in a ball and closed her eyes, hoping that she would sleep until they came for her. After all, she wouldn't get much sleep in Azkaban.

                         ¥------¥

"Are you sure about this, Harry?" Hermione looked up at the house. It was early afternoon, as they had both headed home and changed into some clean clothes before heading out here. "I mean, she was created to destroy you."

"That wasn't her fault. She didn't wish that upon herself." Harry replied firmly, but calmly. He knew what it was like to have a prophecy thrust upon oneself, and how difficult it is to know who you really are after that. That's why he wanted to come and visit the woman rather than send some Aurors.

Hermione still looked uncertain. She'd had enough dealings with dark wizards to last her a lifetime. Absent mindedly, her hand went to the area on her arm that Bellatrix had carved open. Harry noticed this, then spoke. "You can say I told you so later. But as of right now, let's give Helena Merope Riddle a chance to have a normal life."