Chapter 10 - Priorities

Mason's POV:

A few weeks had passed by, and I had had every intention of returning home. The word still felt funny. It hadn't been my home for so long. Now I was dragging my past back and making it part of my future. A feat that I never thought would happen.

The second I got off of the plane, I found my way back to the little café. I would see my parents soon enough. My mind was encompassed by one being. And I owed her a huge apology. I'd been too busy tying up loose ends and keeping customers happy to even begin to bother to text her. I expected to face her fiery wrath. I could have sworn she had the temper of an Irishman. I'd never asked her of her lineage, but her beautiful red hair made me question my previous thought.

Taking a deep breath, I smoothed my unruly hair back. Reaching for the door, I pushed my way into the diner. The jingling of the bell announced my presence as I took a seat in the spot I'd had the first time I came in.

Glancing down at the menu on the table, I flipped it over not really reading to find something to eat but using the distraction to buy me some peace of mind. I wasn't sure if she'd be surprised to see me or just simply angry. I was prepared for whatever she'd dish at me though.

"Can I take your order?" The male voice drew my attention.

Looking up, I recognized the man immediately. The cook.

"Justin." I raked his name through my teeth with distaste.

As if realizing who I was for the first time, he tucked away his pen and pad of paper in his apron. "I was wondering if you'd show back up. Are you here for the food or Harper?"

"Most employees don't talk to customers that way." I arched a brow, sitting back in my chair with my arms folded across my chest.

"Most customers don't mess with my employer's mood." His jaw set hard as he waited for me to test him again.

"Touché. Where's she anyway? I wanted to talk to her." I got down straight to the point. I had no reason to waste any more of my precious time on him.

"Out of town. Won't be back for another few weeks is my guess." He shrugged, leaning his hip against the table as if we were going to have more of a heart-to-heart than I had intended.

Furrowing my brows, I narrowed my eyes. "A few weeks?"

"What? You didn't think she had another life to escape to like you?" He arched a brow, his voice dry at what he clearly thought were unreasonable questions from me.

Swallowing a slur of curses, I gave him a pointedly tight smile. "Is she on vacation?"

"Nope." He crossed his arms over his chest.

"Family reunion?" I arched my brows in hopefulness.

He shrugged. "It's none of my business."

"Yet you know something." I prodded, trying to be friendlier and less... angry.

Finally he sighed, uncrossing his arms. "Look...?"

"Mason." I offered.

"Mason, Harper has a life. I know you think she'll just drop everything and be at your fingertips, but she's a busy woman. Honestly, it's a surprise she was even here when you were. She's gone a lot. She came across some family money or something quite some time ago and has been living out her dreams. Or at least I hope that's what she's doing with it."

I averted my gaze to the window. I hadn't thought about any of this. I had expected her to be here. I had expected her to be easy to find. But she wasn't. She didn't revolve around my time schedule and my life. She had her own and I knew nothing about it.