Chapter Three

After a few hours of sleep, Dawn woke up to find Faye over the fire boiling some water in a cauldron.

"Did you sleep well?" Faye asked now taking two cups and filling them with water.

"I wouldn't say well, but I managed to sleep," Dawn answered, getting up and walking towards Faye.

"Here," Faye said, giving Dawn a cup "Careful, it's hot," She added.

"Thank you," Dawn said taking the cup in her hand. "I have bread, do you want some?" She ten asked taking some bread out of her equipment bag.

"Please," Faye replied, taking the bread Dawn was handing her. "The Sun just rose and considering we are at Droamos' borders, if we leave soon we'll make it to Tharilya before sundown," Faye said, taking a bite of bread.

"Lyndon's old Kingdom," Dawn remembered "The King will probably be asking about his son," Dawn said, taking a sip of water and realizing it is way too hot.

"Told you it was hot," Faye said, playfully. "If the King wants to know about his son, we'll just tell him the truth. Lyndon is a strong fighter who helped Droamos solve a lot of conflicts within the lands of Roveria," she added.

"Alright, let's go. I'll put the fire out," Dawn said, eating the last bite of her bread.

"I'll prepare the horses," Faye said, walking towards the horses.

When both girls were ready to leave, they mounted and rode away from the spot where they slept.

*  *  *

Just like Faye had predicted, they crossed Tharilya's borders a little while before sun down. When the Village and the castle came into view, they saw something they would never forget. Everything was destroyed, the castle's gates were smashed open, houses were on fire, villagers were running from house to house, trying to save each other and their valuable things, if they had some. They rode their horses through the village, or what was left of it. All around them, people were dying, hurting. What had happened here? Did Kharya retaliate before Droamos' knights had time to negotiate a peace treaty between the two kingdoms? The other knights would never have helped Kharya destroy another kingdom this way, unless they hadn't made it there yet. The two girls climbed off of their horses and attached them to a post that was still standing.

Faye walked towards a hurt woman and offered her help. Dawn was astonished by what she was seeing. She had never encountered war, no like this. She had only heard about it in her classes with Armon. Dawn watched as Faye used her powers to heal another woman's leg.

"Dawn, I need your help, come on!" Faye said, walking towards a few burning houses.

Dawn got out of her thoughts and walked over to where Faye was standing.

"What do you want me to do?" Dawn asked, still shocked about everything.

"I need you to help me put this fire out," Faye replied, now getting in the right place of mind to use her powers.

"What? You know I've never been able to do magic," Dawn said, "Armon says I'm a lost cause,"

"I don't need you to use your powers, Dawn, I just need you to help me stay grounded, this is probably the hardest thing I'm ever going to do, I can't let my spirit slip on the other side, so you have to help me stay here," Faye said, now closing her eyes.

"Wait, Faye! How am I even supposed to do that?" Dawn asked, panicked.

"If you see me slip too deep, pull me out," Faye replied.

Suddenly, a blue aura appeared around her, every villager stopped doing what they where doing to watch her.  Some of them were terrified of what was going on, others were fascinated.