Nostalgia

The sun's soft light filtered through the curtains of Sophie's Havenfield room. It was one of those days where it was too hot to be outside, and you had every window in the house wide open. Edaline and Grady left to go pick up some more materials to make feed for the T-Rex. Sophie stared at her old journal from the human world in a daze. She sifted through it every now and then reliving old memories. Sophie would relive cold times when her younger self talked about the bullies or her parents who preferred her sister over her. Or how she was so happy when she aced her first test. By doing this waves of nostalgia would wave over Sophie.

Though she greatly prefers her life in the Elven world, it's hard not to remember how she lived the first 12 years of her life. It helped to grab her favorite jeans and hoodie from the human world and wear them again. She would feel human music fill her ears from her iPod. She would read the few books she kept from the human world or stare out the window and reminisce. No fancy outfits to go to galas, no Neverseen or Black Swan, no problems. A girl with her mind with no one to disturb her.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Fitz's breath was stuck in his throat. Sophie was sitting in her bay window staring out the window in her old human clothes. Her headphones were in her ears, and her coffee brown eyes were staring out the window with a warm glow. The open windows were slightly sending wind into the room slightly sweeping her hair around her head with slightest movements. And people wonder why he was in love with her.

She looked so at peace. Fitz didn't want to interrupt her music, so he turned on his heel to leave until he heard a sweet voice call out his name.

"Fitz?" Sophie called out.

Fitz cursed himself out in his mind for interrupting her then turned back around. He saw Sophie slowly getting out of the bay window and taking her headphones out.

"Um... Hey Soph! Sorry for interrupting you-" Fitz started but was cut off by Sophie.

"No don't worry about it! It's no problem. What did you need?" Sophie asked with a warm smile forming on her lips. Fitz swallowed in an attempt to calm his beating heart.

"Well, I was wondering if you wanted to continue Cognate training?" Fitz asked. Sophie's eyes lit up.

"Yeah actually! I have some new exercises we should try. I was doing some light reading on cognate, and they had some excellent ideas in there." Sophie said quickly, jumping up from her bay window seat. She grabbed a book off from her nightstand rushed over to him handing him the book. He grabbed it from her and flipped through the pages.

"Yeah. These seem like really fun exercises to do." Fitz replied smiling.

"Okay well, why don't we practice them in my bay window. I'll go downstairs to grab some stuff to eat and drink." Sophie proposed.

Fitz nodded in agreement.

"Okay while I'm down there do you mind feeding Iggy?" Sophie asked pointing to her pet imp, which was now bright red thanks to Dex.

"Sure. No problem Soph." Fitz said putting down his bag and throwing his cloak over the chair. Sophie thanked him and went downstairs. Fitz absent-mindedly opens Iggy's cage and started to fill the food bowl. Iggy suddenly rushed out of the cage and up Fitz's sleeve. He tried to bribe Iggy out with special treats Linh baked earlier for him, but he wouldn't budge. Iggy finally settled curled around his neck, and Fitz honestly gave up trying to get him out. He settled into the bay window and took out his journals and such. He glanced over to Sophie's iPod to see what song she was listening too. She talked to him before about the updates Dex did to it. He made it so it would continuously update with new songs and would modify her songs according to her mood. It seemed pretty legit. The iPod clicked on and showed the song Sophie was listening to before he walked in.

Billie Eilish-Ocean Eyes

Huh.

"I Wonder why Sophie liked that song so much? It seemed to be played over and over." Fitz thought to himself. Sophie walked into the room, and Fitz quickly put the iPod down. Fitz knew Sophie wouldn't mind him looking at it, but he also didn't want to risk it. Sophie brought in their favorite snacks and drinks.

"She knows me so well," Fitz thought as she offered him the mallowmelt. They sat there for the full day but to be honest they only did their cognate training for about an hour, and then they started to get distracted. The sun was slowly beginning to sink behind the hills of Havenfield. Sophie was back to her music and sketching. Fitz was reading his book, playfully nudging Sophie's leg with his foot every so often to annoy her. Fitz heard Sophie's music slightly through her headphones, and he had to admit he was curious. Sophie seemed to catch wind of this and popped out an earbud. Again the song Ocean Eyes was playing through the headphones. Fitz nervously took it and was taken aback by the sound that filled his ears. The music was sweet and harmonious with the artist's high voice talking about how she wants to return to the person with ocean eyes. Fitz looked at Sophie as she stared at him with a small giggle. She knew he liked it. The music seemed to slow time around them as he stared at Sophie. She was so beautiful and kind. Fitz honestly didn't know if she returned his feelings. But the music along with the sun's warm glow on her skin and golden hair made Fitz smile warmly.

He was in love with this girl.