Chapter 40: Until We Meet Again

Josh took a deep breath and spread out the suitcase on his bed. Step one: check. "Alright," he sighed heavily. "Where to start?"

Just then Mariah called and he picked up his phone. "Hey Josh. Do you want to get coffee with me?" Mari asked.

"I'm kinda busy," Josh said sharply.

"Please, Josh," Mari begged. "Please, please, please."

Josh shoved a pair of jeans and some socks into his suitcase. "Why don't you come here instead?"

"Alright. I'll be there in ten minutes."

Almost exactly ten minutes later, Mari exited the elevator and called out, "Josh? Josh, I'm here. Where are you?"

Josh walked out of his room. "Here. What's up?" He tugged at the collar of his tux nervously.

Mari had changed into a sweatshirt and dark blue jeans, but her hair and makeup were still perfect. She looked so beautiful. "I don't know. You asked me to come here," she laughed. "What were you doing? I hope you weren't busy."

Josh bit his lip and crossed his one leg behind the other. "I wanted to say goodbye."

"What? Josh, no," Mari said, shaking her head.

"Relax," he muttered. "I'm not killing myself or anything."

"You can't leave. Why are you trying to leave?"

"It's not important," Josh shrugged. "I'll come back, I promise. Eventually."

"Or you don't have to leave at all," Mari said, looking at him with pleading eyes. "Why would you want to leave?"

"It's for a number of reasons," Josh said nervously, rubbing the back of his neck.

"Josh, sit down. Talk to me," Mari sighed.

"I'm just gonna stay with my brother for awhile," Josh said softly. "Sort some stuff out."

"How long will you be gone?"

"I don't know, Mari," Josh sighed, collapsing into the couch.

"Do you really have to go?" Mari asked, her face conveying genuine sadness.

"Mariah," Josh said with a small laugh, "I got fired today."

"What? Why?" Mari asked in surprise.

"I got into a fight with the manager," Josh laughed sadly. "And I said that...well I said if my demands were not met, I'd rather leave."

"I don't know what to say," Mari frowned. "I'm gonna miss you, Josh...Just because you got fired, it doesn't mean you have to leave...Are you at least going to say goodbye to Matt and Catherine?"

"No, not them," Josh laughed. "I'd only be a burden. And technically, I suppose, I quit."

"Matt will be hurt if you don't say goodbye. Catherine too."

"And I'll be hurt if I stay," Josh thought to himself. He felt lousy. "They'll forget about me soon enough."

"No one could forget you," Mari laughed sadly.

"Mari, I don't have choice," Josh said firmly. "If you can't be Christine, I don't want to work here anymore. It's not like I have anything tying me down. This will be good for all of us. I never leave this place, and it feels empty with out Matt."

"Promise you'll call me?"

"Of course," Josh lied with a soft smile.

"You are coming back, aren't you?" Mari asked hopefully, trying to bite back tears. "Please, Josh, saying you're coming back. And don't lie to me."