Forgiving?

You felt like you were underwater.

Everything around you was dark. Various screams and begs were muffled and not being able to decipher.

You couldn't tell how time went by. It could have been a few seconds or 50 years.

You didn't want to open your eyes. Your whole body was aching and you felt like the slightest movement would make you cry out in pain.

And then suddenly. You weren't floating in darkness anymore. You could feel a soft squishy fabric underneath you. After some time you also noticed a weird piece of plastic on your wrist.

You wanted to know where you were. Your body didn't hurt as much, so you figured it would be okay.

You slowly opened your eyes.

A light.

That was the first thing you saw. It shined brightly in your eyes and almost made you close them again. But you didn't.

Instead, you looked around. There where multiple people in the room, but you couldn't really see that well.

So you tilted your head. Four people, you counted. Two of them were in the corner, seemingly nodding off. They were leaning on each other, their indigo and blond locks falling over their closed eyes.

The other two, one with wild hazel-brown hair, the other with straight black hair falling in his face, were sitting beside your bed, talking to each other.

It took a little while, but you eventually recognized them as your teammates. Makoto, Haru, Nagisa, and Rei.

"Guys?"

Four heads snapped to you. You slowly sat up, your pounding head not making it easier. "What's going on?"

It wasn't like the movies. No one pulled you in a hug. No one screamed how much they missed you. No one cried out your name. No one kissed you dramatically, revealing they had been in love with you this whole time. It just stayed silent.

You wanted to raise your wrist but was held back by a tube pricked in your arm. You looked at it. Then it hit you.

"Why am I in a hospital?" You asked, raising your head to look at them.

Nagisa, who had walked to your bed, grabbing a chair and sitting opposite of Haru and Makoto, as well as Rei, answered. "Do you remember what happened?"

His voice was gentle and careful, unlike his usual enthusiastic tone. It scared you.

You blinked a couple of times, trying to remember what happened. You remember being in a race with Haru. You clearly remember winning.

After that everything is fuzzy. Memories of fists getting thrown at you flowing through your mind. But why? Why would they-

Your eyes suddenly widened and you let out a muffled gasp. Your chest tightening in shock.

They know. Everyone knows. The whole world probably knows.

You looked at them. Nagisa was smiling sympathetically. Rei was looking at you like you were a piece of art. Makoto and Haru both shared the same exact expression: completely neutral.

You couldn't say anything, silently wishing that you were any place but here.

Makoto broke the silence. "Why didn't you tell us?"

His voice was serious. Too serious. You've never heard him sound like this. It terrified you.

You tore away from his glance and balled your fist. Your voice cracking. "I didn't know how. I've never told anyone. And before I even joined the swim team I knew how afraid you are of mermaids.