Chapter One

Trias. The main city covering most of what once, a very long time ago, was America. It hasn't been called that in hundreds of years.

Nowadays you either live in Trias, the Borderlands, or you're a Nomadic out on the boundless oceans.

Continents, as they were once called, were swallowed up by the sea. Trias was built on the one remaining part of North America. The Borderlands are aerial towns strung between submerged buildings, or floating boat towns.

And the Nomadic are a relatively unknown civilization covering the rest of the world.

But despite the seemingly devastating oceanic rise, civilization is thriving. Approximately 5% of the human population survived, that 5% being in the country of America; the only country spared.

Racism is no longer a thing, seeing as how people of all skin tones died alike in the oceanic rise. However, your rank is something you can be discriminated against for. Most people in Trias are rich, powerful technology or drug or human traffickers. 

You have a few street rats here and there, and then the middle class that buys the services of the traffickers.

It's usually the street rats who vanish. The ones nobody will miss.

And on this cool, still night in Trias,

Four traffickers will vanish.