Chapter 8: Scott

BRIGHT BLUE eyes stared back at him as he fixed the bow tie around his neck. Scott had been in his room for over two hours. And yet, he still didn't feel prepared at all.

This would be the first ball he attended in Goldenwood. He had to make an impression. As one of the last Lostgates who existed, it was important that he met the expectations of the Fair Folk. Especially this one, the home of his bloodline.

Scott used to spend summers here with the whole extended household of the Lostgates. He never liked it. And although he wasn't sure if he liked it here now, he chose this. And this is one of the gatherings that would decide his place.

He fixed his hair one more time and smelled the sleeves of his suit to check if he put the right dose of orange, violets, and musk fragrance. Exhaling while giving himself a once-over on the mirror, he slipped out of his room.

Don't be overly self-conscious, he reminded himself.

The hallway was quiet. The sounds of his footsteps were drowned by the plush deep blue velvet carpet. He composed himself as he walked toward the direction of the grand staircases.

Far ahead, where the corridor ends at a turn, a tall figure appears. Percival. He was wearing a black tux with golden embroideries at the hem of the coat and sleeves. His golden hair shone against the bluish white light from the small chandeliers that hung from above.

Percy raised an eyebrow at the sight of him, "That took quite a while. I see you're nervous."

Scott ignored the remark. He couldn't deny it anyway. "Where is gramps?"

"He awaits you at the ballroom."

They walked together, the silence settling in for a little moment before Percy spoke again. "So..." he cleared his throat. "Moir, eh?"

"What about him?"

Percy grinned. "I see he's caught your eye."

Scott didn't say anything.

"You know," Percy continued. "Moir is a great boy. He's smart. He's athletic. He loves his family and cares a lot about his friends." He babbled on about how Moir got into fights protecting Caleb and Nigel when they were kids. He talked about how Moir got into the swim team with only pure determination and passion, and love for the ocean. He rambled on and on and on.

Of course, Scott caught everything and remembered every detail in his mind. Aside from his excellent memory, it was because it was about Moir. He wasn't sure what it was about the other boy that captured his attention. He just--

"We're here," Percy announced abruptly, cutting his current story about a science project Moir and Nigel worked on. They stopped in front of a tall double-door. It was darkwood. Scott didn't realise that they had walked that far. Listening to Percy's stories about Moir had occupied his mind. And weirdly enough, he was calmer now. He can hear the faint music coming from the other side of the thick Elizabethan wood.

As if sensing their presence, the doors opened on their own. The music grew louder, the sounds dancing in the air. Scott recognised it was classical. Like most fairies, he liked it too. His late grandmother, Glendania Duskfall, loved it the most. The memory of her brought sadness to Scott. He pushed the thoughts away.

For now.

The doors opened to the second level of the ballroom. It had a mix of pale blue, gold and green lights. The floor was red velvet. He could see his grandfather sitting on a translucent high-backed chair, facing the dancing fairies below. Scott ambled towards him and stood by Abraham's side. This close, he realized that the chair was made of ice. A layer of fog settled over the floor, thicker at the base of the chair.