Ch. 2

She was back there. The red, the screams, the bridge, the door. It was all catapulting at her at once but she couldn't seem to fight it this time. She couldn't escape it. "The only way out of the fire is through." Duck's voice echoed in her ear and she turned her head, only to find that he wasn't there. She was alone this time it seemed. So she held her breath, hand on the cold door knob, twisting it to the right before it slid open with a creak.

There he was, small bundle of child balled up and crying. She could hear the screams of others but his cry was louder. More shrill, as if it was right in her ear. Clem closed her eyes, gritting her teeth to fight through it. She needed out, out of this reoccurring nightmare so she knew she had to push through. Her hands came up to cup her ears in attempt to fight at it some more but he screamed louder and louder. "Stop!" She tried to call out once then twice but it didn't help. AJ just kept on crying, screaming at the top of his lungs.

Clem forced her eyes open, the light flickering as if somebody was taking photos but instead she felt light headed. Was his screaming really about to knock her unconscious? She shook her head, forcing herself to focus hard at the task in front of her. She needed to get to him. She had to. He was only a few steps away but it seemed like miles. She lifted her foot, they felt like piles of lead, one after the other until she was within reach. Clem stretched as far as she could, her fingers barely grazing his shirt when a loud bang busted through.

The screaming ceased and her head spun like a swivel to look for the cause of the noise. It went bang bang bang, a little louder this time. She opened her mouth to call out before the banging shook her from her dream. She fell out of it so quickly that she shot up from the bed, panting so heavily as she kept a hand over her chest. Once she caught her breath she was finally in tune with what was going on, the banging continuing at a steady pace at this point and she got up from the bed. Her hand gripping the pistol she had discarded on the night table before falling asleep as she moved across the bedroom and back into the living area.

Her eyes scanned the area, it was brighter outside due to the sun peeping in slowly from the windows of the camper. Blinking a few times, her eyes finally adjusted and they fell right on the person she was looking for. AJ was still fast asleep it seemed and so she turned her attention back to the loud banging. She cocked the gun, putting the bullet in the chamber when she did before opening the door slowly, gun out first. "Whoa! Hey!" The voice rang out and she let the door fall open to reveal none other than Duck.

She let out an irritated huff before addressing him and his actions. "The fuck Duck?! Why the hell were you knocking for one and for two, what are you doing this early?!" He visibly winced at her hushed yelling but he held up the squirrels meekly. "I cooked breakfast but I locked myself out so I had to wake someone up to let me back in." She rolled her eyes, crossing her arms over her chest and the gun hung from one of her hands. Of course he would get himself locked out but he was being thoughtful and at least she didn't have to cook this time.

"AJ is still asleep." She informed him but stepped to the side as he made his way in, brushing past her as she shut the door behind him and he flopped the squirrels down on the table. "Suppose it's time we wake him then. Like you said, we can't stay long. Especially if that group is coming soon." Her brow wrinkled in confusion but then last night slowly came back to her and she nodded in agreement. "Right. I had forgotten." She pushed herself up right from the wall she'd been leaning on and made her way over to AJ.

She smiled down at the sleeping, relaxed little boy. Clem felt kind of bad that she had to disturb him from the peaceful state. It had seemed that he didn't get good sleep these days, he'd wake up in a cold sweat calling out for her or Duck. They'd of course rush over and comfort him, telling him everything was alright and that he's safe now. Eventually he'd fall back asleep and she would exchange a look of concern with Duck before they'd go back to what they'd been doing beforehand. She worried he was having the same dream she had. "Clem?"