Chapter 10: "Pain"

Later that night I was back home in my room, a big sniveling mess, on my bed, hugging my knees. I hadn't changed my clothes, I hadn't fixed my hair and I haven't even talked to anyone since the fight. Logan and some other guys took Alex back to his home and are caring for him until he gains consciousness. Then they're going to send him away...

"This is my fault..." I breathed as I stared at my floor.
"Alex..." I sobbed. I started crying again for the millionth time today as I hugged my knee tighter while I sobbed into them.

As I was crying I heard a light tap on my window. I furrowed my brows as I tried quieting myself but still had the residual sniffling. There was then a full knock on my window. I jumped up and slowly approached the window. I peeled back the curtains to reveal Shawn. I should feel angry and upset that he'd even be in my presence right now but he's not really the bad guy here is he? He was just doing what he had to do. I stood there looking at him for a moment before finally unlocking the window and pushing it open.

"What are you doing?" I mumbled.
"I need you to come with me." He says and I just furrowed my brows.
"Where?" I asked.
"Just come." He commands, he didn't seem angry but he also didn't seem happy, just neutral... I was confused but didn't have much energy to put up a fight. I just simply nodded before turning my back and walking to the corner of my room where I had all my shoes. I slipped on some flats before walking back over to the window. Shawn took a step back as he held out his hands to me. I climbed up on the windowsill and leaned forward towards him. Shawn grabbed only my waist and as if I was nothing pulled me off the window and gently placed me on the ground. When he let me go he held out his hand to me. I sighed before accepting it and let him lead the way.

Shawn and I walked hand in hand deep into the woods, we were walking for a solid 10 minutes of just nothing but silence between us. The only things that could be heard were the owls hooting and the small forest creatures chirping and chittering. As we walked Shawn lead us to a dead end I furrowed my brows as I looked up to him, confused. We had stopped in front of a massive tree with vines covering every part of the trunk creating what looked like a skirt.

"Ellie... how much do you know of me?" Shawn finally speaks up, the question catching me off guard.
"All I know about you is that you came into our pack about a year ago and that you're truly serious about your position as Alpha," I answered.

Shawn just nodded before walking up to the tree in front of us and grabbed onto the vines. He peeled them back revealing a secret hidden pathway through the tree. I gasped as I cautiously walked up to the tree.

"I've been wanting to show you this for a while now," Shawn says as he holds out his hand to me once more. I look to him only to see the pain in his eyes. I've really done nothing but hurt him... I found myself starting to feel bad as I stared at him sympathetically. I swallowed hard as I just accepted his hand. Shawn then leads us through the tree down the hidden path.

I looked around to see the tree tunnel shortly turning into a rock, the same mold, and vines growing inside the little cave, green mold was on the rock walls as well as cracks and gaps. As we walked further I heard the sounds of rushing water. I looked ahead to see a beautiful field of wildflowers sitting on top of a cliffside which we now stood on. Across from us was the most breathtaking view of a waterfall. I felt my jaw fall open as I gently removed my hand from Shawn's and walked closer towards the edge of the cliff. I watched as the rushing water poured down, hitting the large river under us.

"Ellie, why do you hate me so much?" Shawn asks me, breaking my trance of the beauty in front of me. I felt a little blindsided and shocked by his question.
"What?" I asked confused by his question as I furrowed my brows and looked back to him.
"You went out of your way to ban your own friend to try and take me out of power when all you know of me is how long I've been in this pack and how serious I am about being Alpha," Shawn explains as he looked at me with a pained expression.

"I... I don't hate you I just... I don't know you, and for someone I don't know to come to me and basically claim me, to claim anyone... I don't like that." I admitted as I wrapped my arms around myself.
"I hope you know this wasn't my first thought when I became Alpha..." Shawn huffed.
"Why did you want to be Alpha?" I asked.
"Because I was almost the Omega... A werewolf not even born in the pack he's a part of... How does that bode well?" He asks.
"I didn't even know we had an Omega. I always thought Alex was... I never thought he'd be the weakest one..." I say, feeling the tears burn in my eyes.
"I don't worry about him. Alexander is a strong guy and I'm more than certain he'll find his new home fitting for him. I'm going to have Logan point out which territories are safe and which aren't just to keep him out of trouble." Shawn explained.

"Really?" I asked.
"Of course. I care for everyone in my pack, in the short time I've been here it feels like I belong here when I didn't think I was worthy."
"What do you mean?" I asked furrowing my brows. A werewolf who doesn't belong with werewolves? What sense does that make?
"Well, I was just a simple human living in the normal world." Shawn sighed.
"What!?" My voice raised in shock.
"I know it's not common but I had to fight to survive out there before I found you guys."
"I didn't know..." I said meekly as if he just told me a dark secret I wasn't supposed to know.
"A lot of the pack doesn't, they assumed I came from a different pack and I just let them believe it." He says.
"Not even Logan knows?" I questioned.
"No, he thinks I was left behind by my pack when we were migrating." He explained.
"Is that what you told him?" I asked.
"Yeah..." He answered looking pained, probably is by his past.
"So uh, h-how did it happen?" I asked, curious about the process of his transformation.
"I was bitten," Shawn says.
"Did it hurt?" Considering I was born the way I am I don't know if it hurts to be transformed through a bite. Shawn stayed quiet for a moment as he stared out into the waterfall ahead of us.

"More than anything... I was just in the worst condition. I was in intense pain, I felt like I was on fire from the inside out, I jumped in the shower and tried to cool myself off but it wasn't working, when I got out I looked at myself in the mirror. I saw the bite on my right arm and then it started with my ears becoming pointed, then I watched my eyes changing, at the time they turned gold like any other werewolves, then my claws grew in and finally my fangs." He finished it off by baring his teeth, showing me his ability to summon his fangs on command. I watched as his teeth became sharp and I felt almost mesmerized.

Not being able to control my urge I reached up and lightly felt his top canines. I don't know what I was expecting but I think I was more entranced by them. I barely touched the tip and I immediately felt my skin break. I pulled my hand away and looked at the tip of my finger that had a small bead of blood and I just started in amazement.

Shawn placed his hand on mine and pulled my finger up to his mouth. He put his lips over my wound and I felt him start to suck on my finger. My brows furrowed almost sympathetically. I pulled my hand away from his mouth before moving it to his cheek.

"I'm sorry for how I've treated you... You're not a bad guy, you care for us, and I see that now. You've been through so much and prove your self to be worthy of the Alpha title." I say gently. Shawn just leaned his face into my palm and closed his eyes inhaling deeply. I felt my eyes start to burn again as I thought of how awful I've been towards this innocent man...

"Shawn?" I asked. Shawn opened his eyes only to look me in mine.
"Do you think I'll be a good Alpha female?" I asked. I watched as his lips curled up into a soft smile.
"You'll be a perfect Alpha..." He answered as he turned his head and planted a soft but firm kiss on my palm, making me smile warmly.