Chapter Seven

"D'you know how much I hate you?" Dabi sneers, wiping a hand over his mouth- one of his piercings snag against a suture and he lets out a soft string of curses. Blearily, he watches as the figure enshrouded in darkness raise their shoulders before letting them fall back down.

"Here I thought that we were getting along so well, Dabi." He can only narrow his eyes as Hawks steps forward into the blinking street light. Dabi feels his stomach roll at the sight and is forced to look away. It seems that these days, there's always that small and irritating tickle in the back of his throat. He had hoped that drinking would poison the flowers inside of him but they only seem to surge back up at the mere sight of the winged hero. He absolutely hates it.

"You ruined e'rything." His gaze is still averted but he can hear the smirk in Hawks' response. Dabi grits his teeth at this and tries to calm his swaying.

"Oh my god, are you drunk?" He snaps his glare back at the hero and points a finger at him, it slowly veers to the left before he focuses it back to Hawks.

"Wassit to you?" Hawks raises his hands in surrender and takes a small step forward, wings slightly quivering.

"Holy shit, you're plastered. How did you even get out here, stumbling all over the place like some sort of deranged zombie? I've half a mind to arrest you for public intoxication. I can imagine it now, the greatly feared infamous murderer and kidnapper: Dabi, finally caught because he was drunk off his ass. I could finally retire early from the bounty the hero agency put over your head." Hawks' tone is light and airy but it drags Dabi's mood further down.

"Wouldn't you like that? Fuckin' typical ass hero. Get outta here." Hawks tilts his head down and tugs of the hem of one of his gloves.

"So," He glances up at Dabi with a confused smile. In this light, Dabi can see a dimple forming on Hawks' right cheek- it disgusts him, "You called me at three in the damn morning just to tell me that you hate me and then order me to leave? Bro. I got work in like two hours, thanks waking me up for this." Dabi only glowers and tries to take a step forward but nearly trips.

"Fuck you."

"Damn Dabi, remind me to never take you out on a night of bar hopping. You're even more unbearable when you're drunk." Dabi subconsciously activates his quirk and tries to throw a small ball of blazing blue fire at the man before him, it wildly misses but Hawks lets out a squawk nonetheless.

"Jesus! What's wrong with you?"

"You're the one that's wrong with me!"

"Is this because I saved you from dying in that alley? Look, how was I supposed to know that you were gonna hurl all over the place?! What kind of villain gets motion sickness anyway?" Hawks lets out a soft and nervous chuckle, rubbing the back of his neck sheepishly. Dabi tries to summon another ball of fire but it sputters out.

"I don't give a flyin' fuck 'bout that. Jus' leave. You can kiss The League good bye 'cus I'm done. Go back to doing your stupid hero shit."

"Whoa, hold up D-" In a burst of rage, Dabi ignites himself on fire- the crackle of his flames and smell of burning clothes fill the air around them.

"Fucking leave." Hawks stays still for a moment and Dabi's fire pulses, closing the distance between the two men.

"Okay, damn. I'm leaving. Don't get your panties in a twist." Hawks sends him an unreadable glance before spreading out his wings. They obscure the street lamp and throws a reaching shadow towards Dabi and his fire. With a sudden powerful flap of his wings, Hawks is launched into the air where he sighs- looking down at Dabi with pity before flying back to his apartment. Dabi's shoulders finally relax and allows his fire to dissipate. He slumps down to his knees and clenches his fists tightly.