35- Proposal

"The patient has lost too much blood. We can only ask you to pray at this moment. Is their anyone from his family who can fill the papers?"

The doctor was saying something that I could not understand. My mind wasn't focused. What if he was shot on the heart. How would I have then faced his mother? He's in a life threating situation just because of me. I am the only reason, all this mess came in his life.

Sophie came towards me. "Anna, you need to fill his papers. You're his family." I haven't met her or hugged her since she came. I was too lost. "Family?" I said. " I am the reason he's on that bed Sophie. I'm not his family. I'm a curse. Families don't do this to one another." I was in denial, a complete denial. I saw him covered in blood and he was unconscious. The moment I ran towards him was the moment he collapsed on the floor. The person who stood for me, like a strong wall since the day we met was just lying on the floor in pool of blood.

Sophie hugged me tightly. All the tears that weren't coming out suddenly lose break. I was out of oxygen. Everything just seemed useless. "What- what if-" I didn't even want to complete the sentence. The idea of Arslan being dead was the worst of all.

"You are his family Anna. You haven't done anything wrong. It is what it is." She said patting my back. "He will come back to us. He has to." She said in my ear.

"Anna, fill the papers." Daniel said and I stood up. It's been an hour since we rushed to hospital. The sky was black, complete black as if it took everything with it. Every happiness got mixed in that black sky above us. I was walking numbly. My face was bruised yes, my very own cousin hit me really hard.

Sometimes the people you live for so long with, betray you and the ones who met you by accident stay with you forver.

I signed the papers which clearly read that if the person dies it is no fault of the paramedics staff. Why is everybody so certain he's going to die? Why? He's going to live and he will. Allah Tallah please. A tear ran down on my cheek.

"How is he?" I saw Noor coming towards us. She was crying, her red eyes were showing that. I heard Sophie talking to her. I wasn't angry at all but, at that time I just wanted to be alone. I needed some time to pray, some time in solitude. I went towards the front. It was the same hospital in which Daniel was brought.

Slowly I went towards the bench. The moon tonight decided not to show up. Dark black clouds were covering it like it was under their protection, so were we under HIS protection. The bench was empty. I sat on the bench and closed my eyes. Thinking about everything that we went through, tears started rolling down my cheeks. I prayed for his safety and sat there for hours until I realized that Noor was sitting right next to me.

"I am so sorry Anabia. We thought it's best for you if you don't know. I know we have done wrong but please forgive me. I made a friend after so long and I don't want to lose her." I hugged her without uttering a single word. I was out of words, I had no idea why. I just wanted to stay quiet for as long as I can, as if speaking will kill me.

"It's fajar, come let's pray." We went to the waiting room. She bought a prayer mat from her car and we prayed one after another. It was so calm, lying down in sujood, asking for HIS help, having the idea HE is here. HE never makes you feel alone, even when there's no one around you. As I finished my prayer, I heard my phone ringing.

I came out of the waiting room and gestured Sophie that I'm going out to attend the call. It was an unknown number so I was very cautious attending it. Picking up the phone I said Salam and the other person was silent. I waited for some time and as I was about to disconnect the call thinking that someone dialed it accidentally, realization hit me.
"Is that you?" My voice was shaking. It was him, it definitely was him. 2 years without listening to his voice, without his presence, without his wishes and without him. They were the hardest years of my life without my parents and without him, without them.