Bullies

Tony tapped his hand against his leg anxiously as he waited for Peter to arrive. He was already a few minutes late and he was usually early. Tony looked down when his phone pinged, indicating a text message.

Peter Parker: I'm going to be a bit late today. Sorry, Mr. Stark. :(  I'll swing by later

Tony Stark: That's fine, kid. What's going on?

Peter Parker: Just a bit busy. No big deal, I promise.

Tony Stark: Like- Spiderman busy? Or Peter busy?

*Peter Parker is typing*

Peter Parker: I gtg, sorry. I'll see you later, though.

  Tony frowned down at his phone. Something about the texts seemed a bit too formal for it to be no big deal, as he had claimed. Sighing, he began fiddling with some tech, calling, "Hey, Fri? Turn on my work playlist. He smiled slightly when Black Sabboth began coming through the speakers. 

  About half an hour later he heard Peter enter the workshop and he turned to look at him. "Hey, Pete. How's it going?"

  Peter had his arms crossed a little too tightly to be normal and he had the hoodie of his sweatshirt up but he smiled, not quite as cheerfully as usual, and responded with a quick, "I'm doing good! Sorry about being late." 

  Tony rolled his eyes as Peter rubbed his arms nervously. "Hey, it's fine, kid. I'm not going to kick you out for being late." He had been joking but, for some reason, some of the tension in Peter's body relaxed. "Are you gonna sit down?" Tony motioned towards an empty chair with a raised eyebrow. 

  "Oh, uh, yeah! S-sorry about that," Peter sat down, purposefully looking anywhere but directly at Tony. 

  "You're acting suspicious, Peter," Tony raised an eyebrow. "Can you look at me, kiddo?"

  Peter sighed heavily before turning his head to face Tony. He had a pronounced black eye that Tony was sure hadn't been there a few days before. When Tony leaned forward to take a closer look, Peter flinched slightly and he immediately withdrew. "What happened, kiddo?" Tony asked softly.

  "Patrol," Peter answered quickly, happy to grasp the excuse.

  "I saw you two days ago and that wasn't there and you haven't patrolled since," Tony raised an eyebrow, looking unimpressed.

  Peter wouldn't look at him when he spoke next, and his words were so soft Tony nearly missed them. "J-Just another kid. His name is F-Flash"

  "Is this all he does?" Tony questioned, feeling a bit bad for interrogating the kid when Peter shrank under his gaze.

  Peter shrugged timidly, "It's all anyone cares about anyway. If he's not necessarily hurting me he can do what he likes with me. Don't worry about it, though. It's no big deal and besides- he got detention for today's 'art project'." At Tony's questioning look he explained by saying, "That's just what he calls it. I really am fine though." This statement was somewhat countered by the slight waver in his voice.

  Tony looked at him sadly, "Did he say anything rude to you today?" Peter looked away and mumbled something unintelligible. "I'm gonna need you to speak up, Spiderling," Tony smiled slightly. 

  "H-he told me that you didn't give a shit about me and you only even talk to me out of pity," Peter muttered, ears red. After a long pause he looked up with a heartbroken expression, "Is that true?" 

  By way of an answer, Tony wrapped Peter in a tight hug. "I'm so sorry about that idiot, Pete. I love you no matter what and it was never pity. I came to you in the first place because of your talent and your personality. So don't let anything that bastard says to you get to you."

   Peter snuggled into his father figure's arms with a content smile. "Thanks, Dad," he whispered.

   "Anytime, Underoos."