o. swan song

✧⁺❀ P r o l o g u e . . .

Odette was bewitching.

Russet locks of hair tumbled down her back, cascading like an ever-changing waterfall. Her eyes were a gorgeous copper, like the colour of the earth, after experiencing the weight of the dispirited rain, radiating petrichor.

The young princess was a thrilling amalgamation of ethereal, otherworldly beauty, porcelain white innocence and she possessed the most exquisite and angelic aura in all the kingdom. Yet somehow, all the while, within her was a wild, limitless imagination and an unfettered spirit. She was a kite, who longed to soar the intriguing plains of the land she called home and experience joy and sheer exhilaration, but the weight of reality often anchored her down.

Since the girl was in the middle of her teenage years and still filled to the brim with childlike wonder and awe, all she longed to do was explore all the kingdoms of the world, laugh at every moment life threw at her and set out on a quest in an endeavour to find true love. Yet at every turn, were dastardly men with undoubtedly malicious intentions, thrusting marriage proposals upon her.

Odette would reject and deny everyone who would implore to wed her, yet one of her refusals, resulted in a dreadful consequence...

✩✩✩

At the edge of dusk, a mysterious figure suddenly appeared in the girl's room: a man with a malevolent grin permanently flickering across his cracked lips. His eyes were obsidian, it was seemingly impossible to distinguish where his iris finished and pupil began - it was rather all a disturbing, onyx colour, sending chills down Odette's spine. An ebony robe enveloped, embellished with raven feathers enveloped his body, contrasting starkly to the phantomly shade of his skin.

The girl longed to scream, yet fought to suppress the urge, staring helplessly at the malevolent intruder, who loomed down at her from the foot of her bed. "Princess Odette," he snarled, prolonging each letter. "Beautiful. Noble. Young. I shall make you my wife."

The young maiden's defecting facade of courage began to shatter, as sharply as a looking-glass might upon sight of the serpentine gorgon, Medusa. Sheer horror paralysed her and trepidation gushed through her veins, freezing her in place. She found herself rendered incapable of breathing and felt certain that asphyxiation would claim her.

Odette softly grimaced and shuddered, warily beginning to release her tense grip on her sheets (which she had only just realised she was doing). Intimidated, the girl slid out of the luxurious blankets she was protected by and stood up, out of her bed, to face the man.