thirty-eight

Lollie Parker

Lollie Parker

Lollie fumbled with her pencil as she listened to Mr. Matthews teach.

"The Statue of Liberty, the Great Lady of New York has been speaking loud and clear since eighteen eighty-five." He said, "Anybody know what she's trying to say? Maya?"

"Should I just talk?" Farkle asked.

"No," Maya said, "I'm sick of people thinking Farkle's smarter than I am."

"Here comes fun." Riley muttered.

"Name one thing about the Statue of Liberty that you know that I don't." Maya challenged Farkle.

"She was a gift of friendship from-"

"Cathy."

"We got her right after-"

"Cathy didn't want her anymore."

"What does she stand for?"

"Because Cathy took her chair."

"Boy, that Cathy, huh, what a hoot."

"She's not real, genius. I made her up. I'm so smarter than you."

"You are. You really are."

Lollie smiled at the two and Mr. Matthews brought the attention back to him.

"Welcome to Cultural Week, people. The school is throwing a cultural fair to celebrate who we are and where we came from." Mr. Matthews said, "Anybody here taking part?"

Nigel spoke first, "My grandma's gonna have a booth at the fair, Mr. Matthews."

"That's great, Nigel. What culture will you be celebrating?"

"She was originally from Cambodia, she escaped and lived in the Philippines, then she came here."

"Did you know that about him?" Riley asked Maya.

"It surprises me when any of these guys talk."

"And that's exactly what makes America so unique." Mr. Matthews said, "We all come from exotic locales with fascinating traditions."

"Well, where are we from?" Riley asked.

"Philly."

"What's our fascinating tradition?"

"Cream cheese."

"So I'm the great lady of cream cheese? I want a better tradition, please." Riley said.

"Funny you should say that."

"Funny, "haha" funny, or funny, ugh, "yay" funny?" Riley asked.

"Here's your assignment." Mr. Matthews said.

The class groaned and Farkle cheered.

"Everybody look around. Do we know each other's stories? Do you know your own? Our stories are what makes us part of a community. I want you to come in tomorrow and share your heritage with us. Share your story."