one

-

All her life, Ishikawa Hana knew that life was unfair, whether she liked it or not. 

She had been painting in her studio that day, a few months after her sixteenth birthday, large strokes of paint accompanying her slim arms. After being sent to her father's office, she had learnt yet another thing : she was to be engaged to the third son of the wealthy and noble Ootori family, Kyoya Ootori. The third son, to be married off to the fourth daughter of yet another wealthy conglomerate, yet another large business mogul's scheme. "It would be beneficial for the family," her father had lamely put forth. Beneficial enough to forgo her own happiness it seemed. The promise of a meeting to formally greet each other was scheduled in the near future. A Miai she had no idea was coming, or what to expect.

The engagement photographs did not do the real boy justice, as she had soon found out oafter her first few months of school. She had joined the school with her best friend, Tachibana Chiyoko. Donning the cream colored dresses, they had set their eyes upon the large halls of Ouran Academy. Rich people were streaming through their halls, each exuding grace and charm. Hana had already begun to blend into the furniture, a true background character at best.

Chiyoko and Hana had both fit well into the small and elite student body. They had made several friends, as well as those that their parents wanted them to network with for future business deals. Nothing out of the ordinary, Hana excelled in most topics given. She was a high achiever, arranged to inherit the large conglomerates that her father possessed worldwide. However she aspired to take over the numerous animation studios and produce her own works in the future. 

Her father had reluctantly given the company to her, the youngest out of four after much consideration, her other three sisters all high achievers in other aspects of the arts. Her sisters were a famous international singer, a beautiful dancer and an expressive musician that specialised in the piano and flute. In short, they all were unwilling to give up their successful careers for something so daunting like the family legacy.

Not before Chiyoko raised the topic of going to the famed host club during art class. Hana, who had been reaching out for a glass of water nearby, froze. She set the cup of water down, belatedly realizing it was the cup full of murky paint water. She tried to take her mind off her near death experience as she looked at her friend. Chiyoko shrugged, it was the last day and class of the week, they had some time to spare. 

Hana looked at her friend who was innocently smiling, looking like a puppy with eyes full of sparkle. She looked down at her paint covered hands. It was just a few hours, right? "Fine," Hana concedes, before raising a finger, "on the condition that I return home when I need to complete that animation project I was talking about." Chiyoko grinned, shaking her head, "You need to loosen up! You know you're going to take over the company already, so you should take this time to relax! Your last years of high school life are ending in two years time!" 

Hana was a generally perceptive individual, knowing that Chiyoko was trying to get her to lighten up and look forward to visiting the club after class. She knew that Chiyoko had arranged to go together with her and another first year, Anzu Hajime, daughter of a gardening company owner. With a soft sigh she prepared to pack her things when the bell rang, passing it to her Personal Assistant who waited outside the door with a few spoken words and thanks before she saw the common sight of many girls crowding and giggling. 

Chiyoko grabbed her hand, leading her to one of the many ballrooms that were empty. As Hana watched the dark black ponytail of her friend sway in front of her, she contemplated her life choices. Chiyoko smirked as they reached the long line of girls outside an opulent ballroom's doors, "You'll finally be able to meet your fiancé! Isn't that something to look forward to?" 

Anzu, the girl who had tagged along, excitedly was braiding her peach dyed ringlets, hoping to make a good impression. "I hope I get to meet the Prince Tamaki!" She squealed and clasped her rosy cheeks, "I went on the first day of school and he was so charming!" Chinook shook her head fervently, "No, no, I've heard about the cute Honey and stoic Mori sempais! Their combo is supposed to be sweet as sugar!" 

Hana sank deeper into despair, as the number of girls who were also scheduled to make an appointment were also increasing. Suddenly, the cream of an open door sounded, silencing the whole mob. The pastel pink doors open, seemingly by an invisible force, flower petals streaming out. A crowd of hundred or so girls cheered and screamed, abandoning all decorum as they flocked to their hosts.

Hana gasped at the beautiful sight.

A group of shockingly attractive paintings were arranged around the room, displaying the Parisian theme that the host club had come up with. The murals of the walls were surprisingly detailed as well as familiar, but that was because she had painted them herself. So these were where her commissioned paintings for the Host club had gone to. It had taken her months to paint these and there were displayed in the gleaming chandelier lights, next to faux benches,  water features and a mini Eiffel Tower in the end of the ballroom. 

Hana looked around the people in the room, many girls were crowded around extremely attractive boys, each featuring their own specialty to offer to the girls. Even if that was borderline incest between twins. Hana nearly died of mortification as bright lights exploded around her, a flowery aura appeared, as the President of the host club appeared next to her small group, wearing a light pink suit and brandishing a white rose. 

Anzu nearly shrieked with delight, ditching all decorum she had acquired over the years as Suoh Sempai flirted with her. "This is another new face at the Host Club! It's a dream to see yet another group of beautiful Princesses!" "Wow," Anzu whispered breathily at his immense flirtatious aura. Chinook had already abandoned her to move towards the group of girls waiting to talk with Honey and Mori Sempais.

Hana fidgeted with the jacket she had wrapped around herself, as she surveyed her chaotic surroundings. She was mostly at a loss, before the soft tapping of dress shoes on the ballroom's floor alerted her to another's presence. She looked behind her to see a dark haired boy, steel glasses that glinted with a hidden motive, almost like a predator at prey. 

Hana froze in shock, recognition dawning upon her. That pair of dark eyes, angular features. Someone she had agonized over, searching up any available information and coming up with almost nothing. Someone, who in a cruel twist of fate, stood in front of her. Lips curved in a dagger like smirk. Pale hands drumming on a black notebook. Kyoya Ootori.

"Well, what do we have here? Pleased to meet you, Ishikawa Hana."