ch.1; hello

⠀⠀⠀"Luke, you're taking forever. I'm waiting on my porch, you know." I say on the phone. It's our first day of the new school year and Luke is already late on picking me up.

"I know, just wait. I need to brush my teeth.. and fix my hair.. and pick out my clothes..." He mutters. I can't believe him.

"Oh my god, Luke. You promised me!" I whine. He said he'd always drive me to school.

"I know, I know. I'm sorry. I have to go. Walk to school or something." He says and I hear him shuffle in the background.

"I can't believe-" And before I can finish my sentence, he hangs up. Wow.

I groan and start walking. I know the school isn't that far but I just hate walking. Walking is an exercise and I don't exercise.

I look across the street and see a boy come out of his house. He puts his hoodie over his head and starts walking as well.

We walk at the same pace but from different sidewalks. He doesn't look over at me or anything which annoys me because I really want to see what he looks like. I start coughing on purpose and he turns his head.

I finally get a look at his face. Brownish eyes. Pretty nose. Structured jawline.

He looks away again and I decide to do the same.

;

⠀⠀⠀"You're a dickhead!" I shout to Luke when I arrive. We're at our lockers right now and he's right next to me which I think is pretty unusual. Usually, the school organizes the lockers by last name and our last names aren't even near each other.

Fields and Hemmings.

"I said I was sorry!" He puts his hands up in defense. He then runs his fingers through his hair and closes his locker. "I woke up late."

"Whatever. You made me walk to school." I close my locker too. I start walking away from him and to my first class, English.

While heading over there, I notice the boy that walked to school as well. He's talking to a teacher or something.

I see my class and go inside. I'm like one of the last ones in.

I walk around and try to find an empty seat and I see one next to this dark haired boy. He looks up at me.

"Hi." I say nervously. He smiles at me.

"Hello.." He looks back at his desk.

"Is it okay if I sit here, next to you?"

"Um.. Sorry, but no. I'm waiting for my girlfriend." He flashes a smile and I fake smile back.

"Oh, that's fine." I say and walk away. I keep looking around and notice this crappy desk in the back. It's the only desk available along with the desk next to it so I go ahead and sit there.

A girl that I suppose is the dark-haired boy's girlfriend, since she sits next to him, came in a few minutes later. They've been talking and laughing and looking at each other in a lovey dovey way which makes me sad because I've always wanted to experience some cheesy relationship at a time. Right now is the time.

One last person arrives before the bell rings. That one last person is the walker. He looks around and sees the only available seat left, the one next to mine. I smile kindly and he rushes over this way.

"Can I- Uh-" He shyly stutters. I smile and finish the sentence for him since I already know what he's gonna say.

"Oh course!"

"Thanks." He about whispers. He sets his small notebook on the desk and sits down.

"What's your name?" I try making conversation. If he's gonna sit next to me this whole year, if, then I do want to get to know him a little.

He looks up at me from his desk. "Oh, um. I'm Ashton."

"Oh, I'm Madison... Fields." I smile and he does too. He has perfect teeth and I'm jealous since I have to wear braces.

"You have perfect teeth." I blurt out without thinking. Oops.

He looks up again and laughs.. or giggles? I don't know. "Thanks. I've never had braces! Have you?"

I try holding in my smile because I absolutely hate my teeth and braces.

He notices that I instantly hid my teeth with my lips and says,

"Brace face."

"Oh my god, shut up! Yes, I have braces and I absolutely hate them." I groan.

"No, it's okay. I think its cute. Can I see your smile, pretty please?" He pouts his face and makes his hands do the praying sign.

I laugh and then smile for him. I don't know why I do since I never smile for anyone.. other than Luke, of course.

Luke has been my friend for a while now. He'd always been there for me which made me develop slight feeling for him. Its nothing major, but if he does a small gesture for me, it'll always give butterflies to my stomach.

"You have a beautiful smile." Ashton says.

"MmMm." Our teacher makes a sound that grabs our attention. Probably because he wanted our attention. It looks like he's been staring at us from the start. "Class is starting and you guys are being a bit disruptive."

"Sorry.." We both mumble as the rest of the class laughs.

I glance over at Ashton who's now paying attention to the teacher.

He's very beautiful and nice. He reminds me a lot like Luke because he's someone I want to keep in my life.

He looks back at me and I blush and turn to look at the teacher. I hear him whispering random things but one thing sticks out.

And I fall.