chapter one - the girl with flowers

ALEX P.O.V.

"Thank you" I say to the taxi driver, giving him his money.

He smiles kindly and leaves me alone in the crowded street.

I follow my future roommate's instructions and I arrive in front of a palace. I shyly ring the bell and a tenderly voiceasks whois. After I saying my name she gives a little excited scream and tells me to climb the stairs to the second floor, second apartment on the left.

When I arrive inside the apartment a blonde girl wraps her arms around me.

"Hi. I'm Millie. Really nice to meet you... Alessandra, I said well? "

I support my two suitcases on the floor and spare her affectionate hug.

"Nice to meet you Millie. And please call me Alex, everybody does"

"Oh ok, Alex" she says, ever smiling "Let's go I'm going to show you the apartment so you can unpack your suitcases."

I follow her around the very small apartment. She shows me our bedroom, we'll sleep together, in the same room. I unpacked my suitcase while she prepare me something to eat. Is extraordinary thinking that I'll live here for the next six month with Millie and her roommate. Is a kind of dream come true. I love London. I was here five years ago for a two weeks study-holiday with my school, but come over here alone and staying here for a six month Erasmus is really overtime.

                                                                                              ***

"So... when are you landed?" Millie asks me, pouring some tea in two cups.

"I landed two hours ago" I reply while she gives me my cup of tea. She sits at the kitchen table with me and we start to talking about this and that.

Millie will come to University with me, but she's studying political science, while I study economy, precisely economy and social studies, so we will not be in the same courses.

I tell her that I've lived in Milan for two years, for University, but I'm born and raised in a small village on the outskirts of Milan.

She says that she never been to Italy, she's born and raised in Eastbourne and she lives in London for University.

I look at the time on my phone. It's half four.

"Millie, I should go to school and see if everything is in place and then go get my school books" I say in one breath.

"No problem, I'm going with you." She smiles at me.

"Howfar is the schoolfrom here?" I ask her.

"About half a mile."

                                                                                        ***

Five minutes later I'm following her into the crowded street and in ten minutes by feet we arrive at University. Fortunately all is in place.

After Millie took me in the school library where the kindly employed hands me my numerous school books.

After I paid them, Millie says that she has to buy something I don't understand, so I follow her around the street. She enters a perfumery and I decide to waiting her outside.

I really like Millie. We felt a few times this Summer and she seemed me funny by right away.

Looking around, a flower shop on the other side of the road catches my attention, so I through the crowded pedestrian street and I look at the flowers on display on the street.

Beautiful compositions of colorful flowersadorn the simply and fine shop. I loved flowers since I was a little girl, I love their colors and their perfumes.

I recognize pink hydrangeas and I bend for sniff their gentle perfume, closing my eyes.

"Hydrangeas are our showpiece"

I shake me from my thoughts and I look at the lady standing in front of me. Is looking at me, a sweet smile on her gentle face.

"Really? They are my favorite flower in absolutely" I reply kindly, watching her in her big green eyes.

"Hi, I'm Ria." she introduce herself.

"Alex." I introduce myself shaking her hand.

"You have a beautiful accent. Where do you come from?" she asks me, ever very kindly.

"I'm from Italy"

"Italy! What a wonderful country! I've been to Italy the last Summer"

"Where have you been?" I ask her curious.

"I've been in Positano."

"I never been there. I live in Milan."

"My sister lives in Milan now. I'm from Holland."

"Holland!? I been to Holland like eight or nine times! My mom and my stepfather take me there every year when tulips bloom."

"Really? I've lived here for nine years because my second husband is of London. I opened this shop about ... five or six years ago."

"It's amazing. I have a big passion for flowers of all the types."

"Me too. Hey, what do you do here in London?"

"I'm in Erasmus"

"Cool. What are you studying?"

"Economy and social studies."

"Is wonderful."

"Hey! I found you Alex!" Millie smiles me by my side. "Hi Ria, you've already met my new roommate!?"

"Hi Millie. Yes I just known Alex."

"You know each other?" I ask them surprise.

"Of course! She's the mum of a friend of mine."

"Oh..." is all I can say.

"Do you want a plant for your apartment, girls?" Ria asks us gently.

"Great idea! Which one do you want Alex?" Millie asks me happily.

"I love Hydrangeas." I shyly say.

Ria gives us a Hydrangea plant and she refuses to let us pay. So after a funny discussions in which Ria wins, we turn back home cheerfully with our flowers.

CHARLIE P.O.V.

I take another bored sip of my smoothie now finished and I get back the cell phone in your pocket.

When I hear some laughs coming from the other side of the road I look up and see two noisy girls, a blonde and a brunette, who laugh merrily.

I notice that the brunette is holding a houseplant and that the blonde is making fun of her. The girl with flowers is laughing carefree and pray the blond to stop.

A smile immediately is formed on my face at the sound of her laughter.

Who are you girl with flowers?