Chapter 6: Tau Adana

"I was in Atherios for my training with Rex when the battle happened. I was running for cover and I saw your plane, and it was like Put put put... and then you just started falling like a rock! Then Bam! You smashed into the hill, so I got my dad and I helped him pull you out of the plane. You were super messed up, lots of broken bones and blood and stuff. But we got you back to the house and he was able to fix you."

Tau smiled at Xaren as they sat on the porch in front of his house. By now she was out of her pajamas and into some normal clothes that fit her. She'd been there a week, Michael had been sending her reports about scout flights by the Zytrians nearby, she kept waiting for the right time to slip out into the country side and get spotted, but she always found an excuse not to. She liked being here, Atheria was nice, there was a war here, but you wouldn't even have been able to tell with everyone so damn happy all the time. She patted Xaren on the shoulder, "Thanks for saving my life," she laughed, "but for future notice, you're supposed to kill your enemies, not rescue them."

"My Mom says that the soldiers fighting the wars aren't the bad guys, it's the people who send them to fight who we need to stop," Xaren's hand started bristling with electricity. Tau was surprised to see an Elf so proficient with magical abilities at such a young age. It was probably the human blood running through his veins, "and when I'm strong enough I'm going to kill your evil queen myself!"

"Oh Really, so the Queen's evil then? Did your mom tell you that too?"

Xaren shook his head, "Nope. I learned that from my teacher."

Tau was curious, "What do you really know about the Queen."

"Her name is Mara Adreni, and she's the leader of the Zytrian Government. She's an absolute Monarch, a dictator who rules without the people. She got her position because of who she married, not because of who she is as a person. That's nothing like our system in Atheria, here when I'm old enough I'll get to vote for the Grand Council of the Populus!" he then shouted at the top of his lungs "DEMOCRACY!"

Tau laughed to herself, "I'm debating politics with an eight year old." and losing too, She thought. Tau leaned towards Xaren, "You know a lot, but not enough. The Queen isn't just queen because she's of who she married. God chose her."

Xaren seemed unconvinced, "How does God choose anybody to lead? Did God just climb down from heaven and say, "hey everybody, I want this girl to be Queen". Plus some people don't even believe in the same God that you do, I don't believe in God at all! So what do you tell me, huh? You tell me that the Queen was chosen by a God I don't even believe in?"

"You don't believe in God?" Tau asked puzzled. She'd honestly never met anyone who didn't at least have some kind of religion, she sort of didn't imagine that it was possible.

"My Dad believes in the Great Spirit, and my mom believes in the Elven Pantheon. My parents told me that I get to decide what I believe in, and I decided that it's all Bunkum! Any God wants me to believe in them than they can damn well show their face!"

Tau couldn't help but admire the boy's individuality, "Well then fine, let's say she wasn't chosen by God. She was chosen by the King, No?"

"A king that was a murderer. He tried to kill my dad and everyone else like him."

Tau continued, "Well the King loved her, wouldn't you rather have love deciding things as important as who should lead?"

He shook his head in defiance, "No, I think the people should choose. If most people like one guy, than he should be in charge. Democracy!"

"Most people are idiots," Tau retorted, "I just don't think that Idiots should decide who's running the show."

Xaren's attitude changed, he seemed disinterested in the conversation as he took a slouching position. He looked up at Tau, his purple eyes signaling disappointment "Is my Dad right? Do you hate me because of who I am?"