Chapter One: Sam's Childhood

*The time is set when Sam was ten years old and Charlie was three years old*

Sam was playing with Charlie in the living room when their mother came in and smiled.

"Samuel," his mother called.

"Yes, mother?" Sam asked.

"You and Charlie are going to visit one of my old friends while I go to work" she replied.

"Okay" Sam agreed, "when are we going?"

"Right now" his mother said.

"Okay," he smiled. "I'll gather my stuff."

He went into his bedroom and grabbed his backpack. He puts his diary, pencil case full of pencils and a pencil sharpener, and his favorite stuffed animal, Lincoln the lion, in his backpack.

When he fathered all his items into his backpack, he rushed to his mother and said "I'm ready!"

"Okay let's go," his mother answered as they walked to their car.

When they arrived, Sam had no idea that it was an orphanage. They went to the desk and the lady looked at him, then at Charlie.

The lady whispered something into the mom's ear.

"No, no they don't," his mother replied.

Sam was confused, but he didn't think much of it. 

"Alright," his mother giggled, "How about you two go and have fun with the other kids, okay?"

Sam was very confused but smiled anyways and said, "Okay."

Then he and Charlie went to the play room where the other kids were.

A girl came up to them and said, "Hi, I'm Lynda! What's yours?"

"I'm Samuel and this is my little brother Charlie!" Sam introduced.

"Wanna play with me?" Lynda asked.

"Sure, why not?" Sam replied and ran off with Lynda and Charlie to the dress-up station.

Lynda pulled out a fireman's hat and put it on her head. Sam grabbed a doctor's white coat.

"I want to be a firewoman when I grow up," Lynda told Sam, "how about you?"

"I don't know yet," Sam replied while putting the doctor's coat over his shoulders.

Lynda smiled and said, "That's alright! You can be whatever you want! You'll know what you want to do sometime in your life!"

Sam smiled and said, "Okay let's play emergencies!"

They began playing their game. Emergencies is a game where Charlie would be in an accident and Lynda would need to save him and bring to Dr. Sam and Sam would heal the patient. They have been playing that game non-stop.

At nighttime, Lynda as went to her room, she said to Sam and Charlie, "Goodnight Sam, goodnight Charlie."

Sam smiled and replied, "Goodnight Lynda." And Charlie copied Sam and they laughed. Lynda went into her room and Sam and Charlie were being lead to their bedroom.

"This is where you'll sleep," the lady told them as she opened the door.

The bedroom was full of dust and the air smelled of old furniture.

"Where's mom?" Sam asked.

"Why child, this is your new home," the lady replied, "your mother has left you and your brother as orphans."

Sam's facial expression was full of shock.

"Why would mother leave us?" He said to himself worryingly as he sat on the bed and sighed.