Chapter 5

"Here," Roberto took out a black laced mask from the inside of his suits coat jacket. He also took out a red and yellow mask after mine.

"Thank you," I took the mask. I was wondering when I was going to get my mask. Since the maids didn't have one for me, and Roberto and I were going to a Masquerade Ball after all.

"You're welcome," He put his mask on and I did the same.

It felt weird to be wearing a mask.

This is a bad idea, I thought as I touched the mask. My violet eyes are going to be a sore thumb. I mean they always have been for the past five years, but even more so with this mask on.

However, I couldn't back out now. We were almost to Liberty.

~~~

The Masquerade Ball was in full swing when we entered the Ballroom.

Roberto immediately led us to the rest of the Princes. To my dismay, my brother was there. However, Keith was no where to be found.

Huh, I thought as I searched the Ballroom for him. I guess he's either busy or late.

Edward raised an eyebrow once he saw me, it was probably because I was Roberto's date and nothing more.

"Who do we have here?" He looked next to me, at Roberto.

Roberto laughed. "This here," He gestured toward me, "is Kate. She's my date for tonight."

I smiled at the Princes. "It is so nice to meet you all, Your Royal Highnesses." Gracefully, I curtsied.

Yeah, it is nice to see you all again. Not really, but then again. I would be lying to myself if I meant that.

Somehow, I had missed the Princes, at least their company.

Their eyes widened with surprise.

"At least this one has proper etiquette." Glenn said approvingly as he gave me a once over.

"You make it sound like all of my past dates didn't have any proper etiquette." Roberto said in a light, teasing tone.

"That's because they didn't." My brother said as he kept his eyes on me.

My brother was wearing a deep green mask, the same shade as my dress. Was that a coincidence? I could only hope so.

I averted my eyes from his and pasted a smile on my face when I caught Wilfred silently studying me.

Will I survive until the end of the Ball? I thought as we all waited for Keith. So that we could greet him. Oh, I sure hope so.

Out of the corner of my eye, Joshua was about to ask me something-- I could see it in his eyes-- but Keith had already arrived. Thankfully.

"Sorry that I'm late," Keith said as he took a glass of champagne from a passing waiter.

"You don't have to apologize to us." Glenn muttered as he downed his second glass of champagne. He grabbed another one.

Roberto grabbed us some champagne as well, and I silently took it. As I was drinking underaged, but I mean that was old news of course.

Keith raised an eyebrow when he finally noticed me.

"This is Kate," Roberto introduced me to him.

"It's nice to meet you, Your Royal Highness." I curtsied.

"Yes, it is." Out of character, Keith bowed in acknowledgement.

When all of the formalities were done for tonight, Roberto and I went to dance.