Chapter 1: Hazelnut Coffee

Him

It was snowing out which meant that the skies were gray and people's moods were gloomy. It was the middle of March and people were becoming anxious for summer again and it didn't help that it was snowing out. I didn't mind though. Well, I should say that my wolf didn't mind. As a matter of fact, my wolf loved the snow. The minute that I woke up this morning and looked out the window, he wanted to be let out and run until he couldn't run anymore. I sighed. I hadn't shifted in almost two months and my wolf needed exercise, to go hunting. I promised that I would let him out later, but that now wasn't the time. Now, I had to go visit my aunt who lived in the city.

So here I was, walking down the street of Carlton, the city closest to my pack, off to visit my aunt that I hadn't seen in at least two years. I'd always had fond memories of my aunt Margaret. She was my mom's sister and used to babysit me and my younger sister when we were younger. She always played games with us and watch movies and gave the best hugs. In fact, that's always the one thing that comes to mind whenever I think of her, her hugs.

But that all ended when she and her mate decided to move away from the pack and into the city after they had their first kid. I couldn't say that I agreed with their choice. I would never be able to live away from my family, from the werewolf world. Margaret almost lived as if she was human now. But none of that mattered.

I hadn't seen her since the funeral. And I didn't want to see her now. 

If it hadn't been for my younger sister, Carly, breaking into my room, stealing my pictures of Everly, my most prized possession, and then holding them over the fireplace, threatening to burn them to ashes if I didn't go, I wouldn't be here right now. So I put on some sweatpants, got in my car, and drove 4 hours to Carlton to see my aunt.

God, I hated my little sister sometimes.

I looked down at my hand to where Carly had written down our aunt's address, double checking it and then looked back up at the building that I was standing in front of. Margaret's apartment building hadn't changed a bit since the last time I'd been here. It was still dirty and small and nowhere near the quality of the house that she would have if she still lived with the pack.

I begrudgingly walked up the front steps to the door where there was a metal box attached to the wall with a list of names running down it. I pressed the button next to the name Jones, holding it down a few seconds longer than necessary.

A high pitched voice was suddenly heard through the speaker, "Oh, my dear boy, you look awful." I blinked and looked down only then noticing the camera above the metal box. I gave it the harshest glare you could possibly give to a camera, even considering flipping it off. My aunt never did have a filter. I heard a sigh. "C' mon up. Let's get you out of this weather."

My aunt lived in apartment number 42 which just so happened to be on the top floor of the building. There was also no elevator. So when I finally got to her door, I was more than a little pissed off. I knocked once and waited.

The door flung open and there stood my aunt wearing jeans and an obnoxiously bright yellow sweater. She didn't look any different since the last time I'd seen her. It was a perk of being a werewolf, you aged well and easily stayed in shape. But that wasn't the thing that made me upset when I looked at her. Margaret looked so much like my mother that it hurt to see her.

"Jace," she breathed out, looking me up and down. "What on earth are you wearing?" I looked down at my sweatpants and stained sweatshirt, then at my socks and sandals, then back at her. A look of pity was all over her face.

I scoffed and shoved past her, making my way into her living room where I plopped down on the couch. I spread my legs wide as I sat and crossed my arms over my chest. Margaret followed in shortly after.