Chapter Two

Story start:

It had been only a few months since your arrival. You had learned quite a bit in that small span of time. What stood out to you the most was that your parents actively encouraged Itachi to play with knives. 'Kunai' as you had heard them referred to as. For weeks after that, you were all but convinced that Kami had played you dirty and had you reborn into yet another family of assassins. To your relief, you realized it was simply a common practice here in this world.

Children would be sent to a 'shinobi school' where they would learn the very basics of being a 'ninja'. Many of the subjects being taught there you had never even heard of. Other than that, there had been no major events leading up til now. It had, quite frankly, been dull. Aside from Sasuke and his near-constant tantrums, of course. Fortunately for you, he was sound asleep as of now. Meaning no screaming or crying for at least the next hour or so.

I refuse to believe I am even remotely related to that...thing next to me.

You raised your arms up, attempting to curl and uncurl your fingers. Unsurprisingly, you succeeded, albeit slower than you would have liked. During quiet moments like this when you were completely alone, you would practice basic motor skills. It had been a success for the most part. The only downside was that you were almost always exhausted. For now, you were able to sleep away your days, but you knew that as you grew older, it'd become suspicious.

Soon enough, I'll need to practice speaking. Perhaps I should try now? Mikoto and Fugaku won't be home until later tonight and Itachi is busy training, so all should be clear.

And on that note, you took to sounding out your name. It was a long process that left your tongue feeling sore and swollen, but you'd finally strung together the sounds well enough to be coherent.

"Aaa-waaaaaa-miiii-meeee... Awamime." You beamed, proud of your accomplishment. Sure, it wasn't perfect, but it was certainly quite the achievement for a four-month-old infant.

What's the date, anyways?

You'd been trying to keep track of the date and your age, so you knew when the appropriate time was for you to first crawl, walk, talk, etc... Conveniently for you (and the author), there was a calendar nearby that you could read.

October 10th...

You felt a shiver run up and down your spine. You couldn't place a finger on it, but that date seemed ominous. Somehow, a part of you knew something bad was going to happen today. You just didn't know what.

I can only hope it's just me being paranoid.

If only you knew how wrong you were...

...

The air was thick and reeked of death. Everywhere you looked, bodies were scattered about with the walls coated in blood. The pained screams of hundreds could be heard from miles away.

The many occupants of the Uchiha compound were either out fighting the cause of this massacre or huddled in groups, patiently awaiting their deaths.

You were neither of those. You had been long forgotten in the frenzy, left in the crib with your crying brother. You'd also be crying, but the heavy bloodlust that filled the air left your body unable to properly function. All you could do now was think and wait.