Chapter 1

All my life, I have lived in a small town in the middle of nowhere. My family has always had barely enough money to keep us fed and clothed, but we were looked at as outcasts because we had to buy the absolute lowest options avaliable to us. My mother and father both worked at different low-income stores in the town square. Their jobs kept them busy during the seasons when the shops were open, but during the hot days in summer and the freezing winds in winter, it was really hard to find work that would give enough pay. My younger sister and I weren't yet old enough to work yet since we were still in our studies so we had to go to school during to week.
We went to the same school as the other kids our age and we both had some friends, but out of the two of us, Rose was the popular one. Anyone who met her fell under her spell and loved her friendly and sweet attitude towards others. She always had a group of people to hang out with and talk to, so she was never alone when she was outside of the house. Me on the other hand; I was the polar opposite. Sure, I had a few friends, but they mostly just put up with me beacause Rose asked them to or I was helping them with their school work. I was that smart kid who sat in class and passed all of my courses without any difficulty. But I was also the kid who succeeded with flying colors in gym. My gym coach looked for activities for me to try so he could find something that might actually be hard for me to do, but he never could find anything. My best phyisical activity however was hand-to-hand combat.
Whether that means self defense courses or blades, I succeeded with flying colors. I have perfect aim when it comes to knife throwing, bow and arrows, spears,sling shots, and my sword skills were really good too. Coach had my participate on the boys wrestling team and I was his best player; I could pin a guy faster then they could critisize me for being a girl playing on a guys team. I have the school records for archery, knives, and the agility course. The guy bellow me is no where close to my scores. His name is Chase Parker and he is probably my best friend.
Chase is the guy that all the girls want to have as their own. He has chocolate brown hair that shines with a coppery tint with the sun is above him. His eyes are the most startling blue that always shine and crinkle around the corners when he is laughing at me and his laugh is the best sound in this world. He has the laugh that makes a girls heart melt because when he laughs, he laughs with his entire body. It is a deep rumble that just keeps going until he has to gasp for air or beg me for water that I cruely withhold from him just to make him fight me for it. He is my best friend because he is one of the only people who could actually get close to beating me in a fight and we love to banter around about who is better; we use any chance we get to prove who is. I don't know what I would do without him, the world would be so much darker without him.
Anyways, Chase and I are hunting buddies. Since both of our families don't have much, we have always gone out to hunt for the bulk of our food. That's what we were doing the day my sister was taken from home. We had spent the entire day hunting a pack of deer when we ran into some trouble. The furry kind of trouble.
"Can you run any faster? They are going to catch up to us, and if they get you, I am NOT stopping." Chase yelled over his shoulder at me as he reached for his knife that was strapped to his belt.
"Hey, you try running and shooting! I can't aim my bow at the wolves and sprint away at the same time! That takes serious skills, not that I don't have them." I smirk.
Chase and I met up that morning with all of our weapons so we could go hunt for some meat since we had just ran out of the last big haul we brought home. We had been tracking a small pack of deer when we realized we weren't the only ones hunting. We got caught by a pack of wild wolves had snuck up on us and the pack.
"We aren't going to make it back. We need to try and climb a tree and wait them out. They will get bored and eventually leave." I looked over my shoulder and saw the pack was getting closer so I load my bow with an arrow from my quiver and aim for the head wolf. I hit him right in the eye and he falls, causing several of the other wolves to topple over him.
As we started to climb a tree, some of the wolves tried to jump and get us, but they gave up really quickly since we were to far up. They retreated back farther into the forest once they realized we weren't coming down anytime soon.
"How many arrows do you have left?" He asked. "Just incase they decide to come back"
"I have seven left after the ones that I shot into the pack." I almost fall out of the tree trying to look in my quiver.
"We should wait a few more hours before we go home. I am going to take a nap, wake me up when you want to head back." He closed his eyes and rested his head on the branch that was supporting his back.
It takes him a few minuets to fall asleep, but as soon as he drifted off, his body relaxed. He is the good looking guy when it comes to the boys back home and I think I could really like him if he wasn't such a pain in my butt sometimes. I like him the most when he is asleep because his face looks so peaceful when his guard is down and he seems younger without the weight of having to provide for his family.
When Chase was nine, his little sister, Brook, was killed by a wild animal. She had gone to a local meadow to pick some flowers for their mothers birthday and she strayed a little to far. The wild animal didn't leave anything left for his family to find except for a pile of blood-stained flowers. His mother was heartbroken and hasn't been able to work since her daughters death. His father got a job that payed barely enough to cloth them. That left Chase with the job to get food. He started hunting and gathering some of the fruit and plants that are local to the forest.
We met a few years later when we both shot the same deer. When he reached the animal, he was really surprised that there was another arrow sticking out of the hide. He looked up in just enough time to see me aim an arrow at his heart. We explained our situations and then decided that we would get more food together then if we tried to go off on our own. Since then, we have always gone out together.

(i am still in the proccess of writting the next chapter with all the schoolwork i have to do, so some patience would be greatly appreciated)