Audition Tape #8 - Lou Gulseth

A sloop's massive sail flaps in the wind as the ship buoys in the rowdy sea. At the stern of the ship, on the poop deck, is a burly sailor. He's wearing a white sailor cap with a black brim. The teen's clean shaven head is evident by the short, brunette hair that peeks out from below. Mighty and courageous, his hazel eyes gleam.

In color, both his uniform top and bottoms are dominantly somewhere between black and grey. With the flap collar, it's a bright white, split down the middle by a paralleling baby blue streak. Visibly stark white is a small portion of the shirt underneath the uniform top. Around the hefty fellow's waist is a standard black leather belt. Matching in shade with nothing notable to them are his rubber boots.

Fingers twirling around the handle of a mop, he cleans the floorboards. His voice pours out a sea shanty, the notes smoothly flowing out of his vocal chords, like calm waves stretching out across shore. Held in place, the mop handle substitutes a microphone stand.

Over the next two minutes, sailors herd on the scene, joining in on the singing. They clap in tandem to the rhythm of the shanty. A few of the men even perform a couple jigs. They end the song loud and proud, thunderously applauding themselves and one another afterward.

A familiar auditory thunder booms greater, drowning them out. It proceeds to reverberate throughout the flooring, rattling all those standing upon it. They know the sensation to be the captain's footsteps. All the men clam up, overcome with trepidation as the one in charge approaches.

"Now what's all the racket up here, gentlemen? An occasion of sorts, hm?" booms the bearded senior.

Not a soul dares to utter a word. The captain stomps his left foot forward, resulting in flinches from a few sailors.

"What? Catfish got your tongues, lads? Tell me, where can you find pleasure?" he asks.

The sailors exchange befuddled looks. What did he just ask them? It was truly unlike the elder to ask such absurdity.

"I said... where can you find pleasure?" he repeats, "Search the world for treasure, learn science technology..."

It dawns upon the crew that he's reciting lyrics to a diddle recognizable to them. They jump in, following his lead, "Where can you begin to make your dreams all come true?"

"On the land or on the sea!"

"Where can you learn to fly, play in sports and skin dive?"

"Study oceanography, sign up for the big band?"

"Or sit in the grandstand, when your team and others meet?"

"In the navy! Yes, you can sail the seven seas."

"In the navy!"

The remainder of the tape is them singing the song and dancing around, bellowing with laughter and beaming with glee. The initial sailor from the beginning salutes at the camera right before it clicks off.

=== AUDITION END ===

A visual of this character will be provided here in an update at a later date.