Thorn

"That is unladylike of you," She was constantly reminded

Her unruly dark brown hair was pulled into a messy bun. Acne dotted on her face so early in the morning. Her small room was cluttered with clothes and discarded paper. The small dog that rested in the corner did not help her with her untidy tendencies. The sun pierced the young girls' eyes, making her grey-blue eyes glare at the woman who intruded into the room. The girl sat up and stretched. The loose-fitting fabric helped to hide the insecurities she had about her body.

"I should have named you Thorn, instead of Rose." The parent joked to her daughter. "Where did the little girl who looked up to the pretty princesses go?"

Yes. Princesses were what every young girl wanted to grow up to be. Rose admired the long fluffy dresses that fit perfectly to their bodies. Their hair was smooth and shiny in beautiful buns. No imperfections were found along with their gentle toned faces. Then came the dancing. Rose admired the elegant movements from afar, wishing she was just as graceful and perfect.

But people change. When Rose went into her education to be good enough for a princess to choose her as a maid, she saw the hurtful side of being in the castle. People treated her like a mouse and a nuisance. She was constantly underestimated by her peers.

A Personal Maid was the closest she was going to get. To the princesses of the court, she was essentially their maid and companion. Along with other young girls, they helped with dresses and makeup, hair or whatever else they needed. Rose was educated enough to help with whatever her princess may need. She even went above and beyond, which is why she was favored by her employers.

It was a taxing job, but there was someone who always brightened her day.

"Princess Charlotte is crazy to choose you as her helper."

That's what many people tell her. But that didn't matter at the end of the day. For this princess depended on her at any time of day. Rose dressed for the day, the corset restricting her movements and the long white dress touched the floor at the perfect length to where you could not see her worn-out shoes. She then washed her face before going on her way.

"Good-Bye, Mother," Rose muttered before going off. The dog barked as he watched his master run from the small cottage and toward the large estate. The estate was a maze that took a fair amount of time to get used too. The staff and maids gathered to hear any special instructions from the head maids. As she waited in line with the others, she noticed the judgment of silence that she gained from the others, as she was Princess Charlotte's favorite.

"Rose!" An excited voice called. "Thank goodness you're here! My hair is a mess, I lost the key to my closet and I cannot find my sister anywhere. She made her bed and disappeared! Can you believe her? Leaving me like that," Princess Charlotte huffed in annoyance.

This was one of the princesses of the estate. Her name was Charlotte Lockman, of the Lockman Family which were related to the Royals of the Kingdom. She had a twin sister named Athena. These sisters were like day and night despite being born only hours apart. Charlotte was eleven when she decided that Rose was going to be her attendant. It was a partnership to be. They were practically childhood friends after beings with each other for the last eight years. The two girls were only a year apart, so they were as close as they could be.