Chapter 3

I yawned, my eyes squeezed shut as I sat up. I opened my eyes, and fear ran through me when I didn't recognize any of my surroundings. I scrambled back, letting out a scream. My breathing was ragged as panic clutched my chest, my head was pounding so badly that I didn't hear footsteps coming until a woman crouched in front of me. I scrambled away from her, my breath hitching. "Mike! Mike she is awake!" the woman yelled, I whipped my head back and forth before dragging my knees up to my chest. My body shook as I hyperventilated, my breath coming out as sobs. "Mike!" The woman yelled again, standing up. My ears began to ring as I refused to calm down, eyes flickering around the room as I looked for an escape. Another person ran into the room, standing next to the woman before crouching into my line of sight. Mike. I barely recognized him through the tears that streamed down my face and in the clothes he wore. "Aly. Aly its okay, your safe. Its okay." I heard him say. I locked my eyes onto him. "Come on, breath... breath." He coaxed me, and I did as I was told. "Your safe, its okay. It's alright." He assured me, placing a hand on my knee. The ringing faded, and my breathing regulated as I took calming breaths. "W-where am I?" I asked, shaking. Mike was wearing a red sweater and a matching beanie. He gave me a sad smile, sitting down next to me and putting his arm around my shoulders. "Its okay. Your at my house." He told me quietly. My eyes widened. "Y-you mean I am outside the Pizzeria?!" I squeaked. He nodded, seeming very calm. "B-but Mum! Dad! Th-they told me to never leave the pizzeria!" I said, starting to hyperventilate again. "Shh! Shh. Its okay." He told me, rubbing my arm. "W-why am I here?" I stuttered. "Because they could kill you! You belong with humans, not machines. It is surprising you are still alive." He told me. I started to cry. "I want my mum! Why am I here?!" I screamed at him, shoving him away. He sighed, looking at the woman. "Doll, could you get her some food while I calm her down please? After she eats I want to get the gang over here to see what we should do." Mike asked. Doll left, leaving us in the room. "Why did you take me away from my family..." I whispered into my knees, curling up as small as possible. "Did they raise you?" Mike asked, ignoring my question. I nodded numbly. "They found me when I was a baby, and took care of me. We celebrated every birthday of mine with a cake. I had food and clothes and a home." I mumbled, staring at the ground. He sighed, rubbing his forehead. "Listen, kid. Those are dangerous, killing machines. It is a wonder you lasted this long!" He told me. "They would never hurt me!" I yelled at him, scooting away. "I want to go home." I whimpered, looking away from him. "Here. We will have, what is called a compromise, 'kay? I will take you with me to work, when your... 'family' is active, as long as you don't let them kill me, and you stay with me during the day, and live a slightly more normal life. Deal?" He proposed. I looked at him skeptically, then at the hand he offered to me. I frowned slightly, but shook his hand. "Deal." I said quietly. He beamed at me, before getting up. "Come here, I want to introduce you to my wife." He said, holding his hand out to me once more. I slowly took it, allowing him to help me up. I followed him, clutching his hand as he led me deeper into their house. "Doll?" He called suddenly, making me flinch slightly. "In the kitchen dear!" The woman from earlier called. I peered through doorways as we passed, confused at what I saw, blinking when bright light hit my eyes. We came into a room that happened to be familiar to me. I smiled brightly, looking around at the familiar territory, eyes falling upon the woman from earlier. She had shoulder length curly brown hair, and was wearing a light blue V-neck sweater with a white shirt underneath, black pants and a small necklace with a purple pendant hanging around her neck. She smiled down at me, but frowned when she looked me over. "Does she have any clothes?" She asked Mike, glancing up from me to look at his face. "Not many, and none of them look any better than what she is wearing." Mike said. Doll sighed. "You get her food. I am going shopping." She said, putting down the spoon she was stirring a pot with and grabbed a fancy looking bag. She left the room, and I heard a door shut elsewhere. Mike glanced down at me and smiled. "Hungry?" He asked, and I nodded, releasing his hand. He grabbed the spoon and got a bowl, pouring some soup into the bowl before placing it on the table. "Here you go Aly." Mike said, pulling out a chair for me. "Thank you." I said quietly, taking the spoon offered to me. He smiled at me before leaving the room. I ate the soup quietly, happily figuring out each ingredient and spice used. Worry grew in my stomach when I finished and Mike still wasn't back, and I could feel pressure close around me. I whimpered slightly, thoughts reeling. Did he leave me? I thought he cared about me! Why did he leave?! I began to silently cry, curling up on the chair and rocking myself back and forth. The door that Mike went through opened, and Mike walked in. I jumped up and ran to him, wrapping my arms around him. "P-please don't leave me..." I cried, pressing my face into his shirt. "Oh! Hey, hey it's okay... I won't leave you, I promise." He said quietly, crouching down so he was eye level with me. I nodded, wiping at my tears. "I was just inviting some old friends over." Mike said, brushing a strand of hair out of my face.

 (1050 Words)